[DFDL-WG] Can I prevent data from getting into the infoset?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Mar 1 08:42:26 EST 2013

The DFDL mechanism is dfdl:hiddenGroupRef. It is fully described in the
spec section 14.5, with an example.

There is a bigger example in section 17, which shows how to use
dfdl:hiddenGroupRef and dfdl:inputValueCalc and dfdl:outputValueCalc to
'synthesise' items in the infoset from hidden items in the data.

None of these three properties are supported by IBM DFDL as yet.

You can do what you want with the infoset post-parse, that is beyond the
scope of the DFDL spec. But bear in mind that if an element is minOccurs >
'0' then the serializer will expect it to be there, and give an error
unless you supply a default value. You need to be careful what you drop as
well. Dropping DisplayName might make sense, so your data looks like
<jgarriss at mitre.org>, but dropping Domain might result in  “James Garriss”
<jgarriss@>, it depends on what is being treated as delimiters.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848