[DFDL-WG] how to do mix of case sensitive and insensitive delimiters

Garriss Jr., James P. jgarriss at mitre.org
Thu Jun 20 07:43:20 EDT 2013

So which is worse, Steve, a bunch of extra properties in GeneralPurposeFormat, or making your schema designers resort to workarounds like this:

        <xs:sequence dfdl:separator="" dfdl:terminator="end" dfdl:ignoreCase="no">
                <xs:element name="weird" type="xs:string" dfdl:initiator="start" dfdl:ignoreCase="yes" dfdl:lengthKind="delimited"/>
        </xs:sequence>

Or this:

- wrap the element in a group
- set dfdl:ignoreCase to 'no' on the group.
- set dfdl:ignoreCase to 'yes' on the element.
- put the terminator on the group and the initiator on the element.

Do you really want your schema designers to have to do things like this?   It seems to me that a good design principle is to make life simpler for your users, not harder.