[DFDL-WG] How do I ignore the case of my initiator and my elements?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Thu Jun 20 05:58:32 EDT 2013

Issue #1 - use dfdl:ignoreCase 'yes'

Issue #2 - this is a validation question so DFDL properties not applicable
- use XSDL pattern facet

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   "Garriss Jr., James P." <jgarriss at mitre.org>
To:     "dfdl-wg at ogf.org" <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>,
Date:   19/06/2013 19:42
Subject:        [DFDL-WG] How do I ignore the case of my initiator and my
elements?
Sent by:        dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

Issue #1

Email header names have a set value, but in practice SMTP servers do what
they want.  So this is the required header name for content type:

But variations exist, such as this:

Rather than trying to guess every possible combination, I think it would
be good to simply ignore the case of the header name.

(I have modeled header names as initiators.)

Issue #2

The spec says that the value of the content type is case insensitive, so
all the following possibilities (and more) are allowed:

So obviously I need to be able to ignore the case of the header’s value.

(I have modeled the type (e.g., text) and the subtype (e.g., html) as
elements.  And as there’s obviously a limited set of allowed for each,
I’ve constrained these with an enumerated list.)

I have attached a simplified version of the schema I’m using for the
content header.  How would I modify it in order to ignore the case of the
header name and the header value?

TIA!