[DFDL-WG] clarification needed: Ignore case

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 14:38:04 EDT 2013

The ignoreCase property description says this:

Whether mixed case data is accepted when matching delimiters and data
values on input.

This affects the behavior of matching for these properties: initiator,
terminator, separator, nilValue, textStandardExponentRep,
textStandardInfinityRep, textStandardNaNRep, textStandardZeroRep,
textBooleanTrue, textBooleanFalse,

Ignoring that dangling comma at the end, the question is about what this
leaves out, and making sure this is intentional.

   1. If an element of type string has the XSD attribute fixed="...." with
   some value, is that comparison of the fixed value to the data content
   guided by dfdl:ignoreCase?
   2. If an element of simple type string has enumerations, are the
   comparisons of the enum values to what is found in the data guided by
   dfdl:ignoreCase?

My thought is No and No, as these are purely XSD issues, not DFDL related,
so we want our behavior to be exactly the same as XSD here. The XSD/XML
world is simply a very case-sensitive one.

This page (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-case/)  is about a
user asking how to do case-insensitive enum comparisons in XSD. The hack
workaround is changing to use a pattern/regex match. I.e., instead of case
insensitive "red" you get a pattern match of "[r|R][e|E][d|D]" which is
blechy, but effective.