[DFDL-WG] clarification on when escape characters are needed

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Jun 19 08:47:19 EDT 2013

James

I don't see how an escape scheme helps here.  The "f82+=7&%q" is all data,
there's no escape character.

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   "Garriss Jr., James P." <jgarriss at mitre.org>
To:     Steve Hanson/UK/IBM at IBMGB, Mike Beckerle
<mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>,
Cc:     "dfdl-wg at ogf.org" <dfdl-wg at ogf.org>
Date:   19/06/2013 12:33
Subject:        RE: [DFDL-WG] clarification on when escape characters are
needed

> The DFDL 1.0 spec implies the behaviour where you get…

If this is the direction the WG goes, can you please make this explicit
rather than implicit?  Using Mike’s excellent example below would go a
long way to making the issue clear.

As for a solution, would it not be better to use an escape scheme, like
this?

<sequence dfdl:separator="=" dfdl:separatorPosition="infix">
  <element name="a" type="xs:string"/>
  <element name="b" type="xs:string"
dfdl:escapeSchemeRef="DefaultPropertiesEscapeScheme"/>
</sequence>

(Cred to Taylor)

If so, it would be helpful to include that in the example.

The DFDL 1.0 spec implies the behaviour where you get:

<a>password</a>
<b>f82+</b>

followed by a processing error.  There is no special casing of the last
element in the group.

Changing the model to the following achieves the desired infoset:

<sequence dfdl:separator="=" dfdl:separatorPosition="infix">
  <element name="a" type="xs:string"/>
  <sequence dfdl:separator="">

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848