[DFDL-WG] Why do occursCountKind=implicit and separatorSuppressionPolicy=never collide with unbounded?

Garriss Jr., James P. jgarriss at mitre.org
Thu Jul 18 12:16:31 EDT 2013

The Content Type header can have multiple parameters, like so:

I have defined the Content Type like so in DFDL:

    <xsd:element name="ContentType" dfdl:initiator="Content-Type:%SP;" dfdl:terminator="%CR;%LF;">
        <xsd:complexType>
            <xsd:sequence dfdl:separator=";">
                <xsd:element name="MimeType" type="xsd:string"/>
                <xsd:element name="Parameter" type="ParameterType" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded" dfdl:occursCountKind="implicit"/>
            </xsd:sequence>
        </xsd:complexType>
    </xsd:element>

When I run this against a Content Type with 0 or 1 parameters, everything is good.  But when I run it with a Content Type header with two parameters, Daffodil throws this error:

2013-07-18 12:10:13:856  edu.illinois.ncsa.daffodil.compiler.ProcessorFactory Error[Schema Definition Error: separatorSuppressionPolicy='never' with occursCountKind='implicit' required bounded maxOccurs.
Schema context: element.Parameter. Location line 23 column 180 in

It seems that an element can't have separatorSuppressionPolicy='never' and occursCountKind='implicit' if it's unbounded.

Why is this an issue?

TIA