[DFDL-WG] Errata 3.1 issue: hiddenGroupRef allowed (or not) on xs:choice

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Aug 12 09:42:16 EDT 2013

Mike

Looking back, the paragraph that mentions choices was added in errata v002
as a result of a discussion in DFDL WG call on 16th August 2011:

17, 14.5. We decided recently that inputValueCalc, outputValueCalc and
hiddenGroupRef could not be put in
 scope via dfdl:ref. But presumably it is still possible for an element
reference or group reference to use
 these properties?  Clarify whether these properties may be set on local
object, global object and/or
 reference to global.
 InputValueCalc and OutputValueCalc: Allowed on local element and element
ref but not on global element.
 HiddenGroupRef: Allowed on any xs:sequence or xs:choice but not on any
xs:group, including ref.

I can not recall changing the rule to allow dfdl:hiddenGroupRef on a
choice, I suspect this is a mistake on my part when writing the minutes,
and is possibly me getting confused with the allowable content of the
hidden group itself, which may be a sequence or a choice.

We should correct the errata to say:

The spec is not clear as to whether this property is allowed on the
sequences and choices that are the direct children of global groups, or on
group references.  Clarify that it is allowed on any xs:sequence or
xs:choice but not on any xs:group, including group reference.

Architect, IBM Data Format Description Language (DFDL)
smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848