[DFDL-WG] clarification needed on lengthKind='pattern' inside complexType element with lengthKind='delimited'

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 15:10:23 EDT 2012

If I nest an element having lengthKind='pattern' inside a complexType
element with lengthKind='delimited' I wanted to clarify the behavior of the
pattern matching.

I've been assuming the pattern does NOT get stopped by occurrances of the
delimiters. That is, the pattern scan is in no way adapted to being inside
of a delimited context.

The alternative would be that the lengthKind="pattern" element's pattern
would be augmented by something allowing it to stop if the delimiter were
encountered, possibly taking even escape schemes into account, etc.

This does not seem worth it to me. It seems like the behavior for
lengthKind='pattern' should be greedy, and blind to enclosing delimiters.
Precedent is that lengthKind="explcit" is also blind to enclosing
delimiters.

Comments?

--
Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair