[DFDL-WG] test case length_delimited_12_03

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 07:59:53 EDT 2012

IBM published a set of test cases for DFDL. One of them is
length_delimited_12_03.

I want to discuss whether this is in fact the behavior we want for DFDL.

In this example, there is data "abcde", and the default format is
lengthKind="delimited", but no delimiters are defined anywhere.

<!--  parent with specified length -->

       <xs:element name=*"myStringSeq2"* dfdl:lengthKind=*"explicit"*
dfdl:length=*"5"*>

              <xs:complexType>

                     <xs:sequence dfdl:initiatedContent=*"no"*
dfdl:separatorPosition=*"infix"*

                           dfdl:sequenceKind=*"ordered"* dfdl:separator=*""*

                           <xs:element name=*"Test1"* type=*"xs:string"*>

                           </xs:element>

                     </xs:sequence>

              </xs:complexType>

       </xs:element>

The only way for this to parse is for the inner element Test1 to be
delimited by the end-of-data coming from the explicit surrounding box
created by the myStringSeq2.

I thought this should be a SDE because no delimiter is defined anywhere. I
see that it can work, if we adopt a policy that delimited, but with no
delimiters, means delimited by end-of-available-data.

But, I thought that is what lengthKind="endOfData" is for.

Can anyone comment as to why the lengthKind="delimited" but with no
delimiter strings defined should NOT be an SDE?