[DFDL-WG] can an initiator be terminating markup?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Jul 17 04:34:45 EDT 2012

Hi Mike

We decided a long time ago that scanning was ended by in-scope separator,
in-scope terminator, end of known-length parent or end of data, and not
initiator.  I think the rationale was that it would slow the scanning
considerably especially with models with optional elements; it complicates
an implementation which must be aware of all the possible next elements,
and neither IBM TX or IBM MRM had the capability.  There are some use
cases like RTF where it would be useful, but these can be handled using
lengthKind 'pattern'.  We can discuss on the call today whether this needs
clarifying in the spec, but the rules are clearly stated in section
12.3.2.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848