[DFDL-WG] proposed clarification/narrowing - delimited binary data should decimal

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Aug 15 08:15:56 EDT 2012

Mike

The correct title of this proposal is "proposed relaxation - delimited
binary data should be packed or BCD or BLOB"

Section 12.3.8 states what binary reps can be used with lengthKind
'delimited'.  It explicitly lists just 'packed' and 'bcd'. Therefore
binary numbers with binaryNumberRep 'binary', binary calendars with
binaryCalendarRep 'binarySeconds' and 'binaryMilliseconds',  binary floats
and doubles, binary booleans and xs:hexBinary are disallowed today.

The binary calendar reps are always treated with fixed length of 4 and 8
respectively, so no point in making them variable length.
All binary floats have length 4 and all binary doubles have length 8 so no
point in making them variable length.

I am ok with being conservative and continuing to disallow binaryNumberRep
'binary'. As you say we can open this up in future.
Same for  binary booleans.

I agree that xs:hexBinary should be allowed to have lengthKind
'delimited'. It will be too restrictive to only allow BLOB data to have a
specified length, or to be bounded by parent. This is shown by IBM 4690
point-of-sale data streams which contain instances of variable length
delimited BLOBs.

If we are in agreement then we need to take an errata on section 12 and
particularly section 12.3.8 to allow xs:hexBinary to have lengthKind
'delimited'.

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848