[DFDL-WG] proposed clarification/narrowing - delimited binary data should be decimal

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:43:57 EDT 2012

The spec allows lengthKind='delimited' for binary data.

For calendar types, it allows only 'bcd' and 'packed' binaryCalendarRep.

There is no such restriction for integer types, so those can also be
'binary' aka twos-complement.

We should be consistent. Either we allow binaryCalendarRep='binary', or we
disallow binaryNumberRep='binary'.

I propose we disallow binaryNumberRep='binary'. Rationale: conservative
choice. We could open it up later if there was reason to do so, but we
can't easily restrict it later if we find it problematic.

This leaves only hexBinary as the exception. Elements of type hexBinary can
have lengthKind='delimited', and the schema author simply has to understand
what byte pattern is usable as a delimiter.

--
Mike Beckerle | OGF DFDL WG Co-Chair
Tel:  781-330-0412