[DFDL-WG] checking on 'no recursion' restriction - are we sure we can live without it

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:12:39 EDT 2012

I take your point on JSON. We don't need to solve that problem really.

At this point we have to put out a call for examples of recursive
definitions in data formats, i.e., where one really needs recursion to
model the data.

I can imagine they exist, but have not had to use one, nor seen one. I have
seen things that were Lisp S-Expression-like syntax, but they were probably
flattenable, i.e., no true recursion needed.

I checked EDIFACT, and they allow nesting, but they specifically cut it off
at 1 level of nesting. DOCBOOK has an SGML variant, but that's so XML-ish,
that I really don't see that it is DFDL's job to be able to parse that.

Any other examples?