[DFDL-WG] checking on 'no recursion' restriction - are we sure we can live without it

Tim Kimber KIMBERT at uk.ibm.com
Mon Apr 9 17:03:45 EDT 2012

Recursion would help, but I suspect that you would still end up with a
DFDL info set that was structured in a non-ideal way. The info set would
be a tree in which all of the 'real' elements would have the same name.
The JSON names would have to be carried on a child element 'jsonName'.
Most clients applications would want to transform that DFDL info set into
something more natural. One solution would be to add a new feature to DFDL
to allow the info set element name to be calculated from the data using a
DFDL expression - but then the DFDL info set would not be valid for the
DFDL xsd.

Looking at this another way, JSON is like XML - they are both
self-defining formats allowing arbitrarily deep nesting. In both cases you
can add some external rules that describe the expected structure of the
document ( e.g. XSD for XML ) .  I think DFDL is designed for the case
where the structure is known in advance. The 'generic JSON parser' or
'generic XML parser' are solved problems.

regards,

Tim Kimber, Common Transformation Team,
Hursley, UK
Internet:  kimbert at uk.ibm.com