[DFDL-WG] short form on xs:schema?

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Tue Dec 6 06:13:01 CST 2011

Will discuss on today's WG call...

smh at uk.ibm.com
tel:+44-1962-815848

From:   Mike Beckerle <mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com>
To:     Suman Kalia <kalia at ca.ibm.com>
Cc:     dfdl-wg at ogf.org
Date:   05/12/2011 14:14
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] short form on xs:schema?
Sent by:        dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

Yes I was thinking of this as the short form for setting default
properties.
I really came up with this while trying to create very compact unit tests
for the UofI Daffodil software. This is written in Scala (really the next
programming language you should learn. Runs on JVM, fully integrates with
Java, lots of other goodness.) Here's an example, I elipsed out the
namespace properties.
def testInt42() {
  val data = bytesFromChars("\u0000\u0000\u0000\u002A")
  // nice: scala has built in XML support. No string quoting hell, just
write the XML (hey, that rhymes :-)
  val testSchema = <xs:Schema ...namespace crud...
dfdl:encoding="iso-8859-1" dfdl:byteOrder="bigEndian" ...>
                    <xs:element name="testElement" type="xs:int"
dfdl:representation="binary" dfdl:lengthKind="implicit" />
                   </xs:Schema>
  val res = parser(testSchema).data(data).parse()
  val ans = (res \ "testElement")(0).text.asInt
  assertEquals(42, ans)
}
I think the same principles will apply to tutorial and expository
materials about DFDL. I.e., I like being able to put default format
properties directly on the xs:schema element!
This will really only be viable for very small examples where you only
need a few properties. That said, those are useful for people learning the
language, and trying it out via APIs.
But, I had never seen it before, and wasn't discussed, so I looked for it
in the spec, and found nothing saying you can't do it. The language in the
spec suggests it is allowed.
...mikeb