[DFDL-WG] short form on xs:schema?

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle.dfdl at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 08:13:42 CST 2011

Yes I was thinking of this as the short form for setting default properties.

I really came up with this while trying to create very compact unit tests
for the UofI Daffodil software. This is written in Scala (really the next
programming language you should learn. Runs on JVM, fully integrates with
Java, lots of other goodness.) Here's an example, I elipsed out the
namespace properties.
def testInt42() {
  val data = bytesFromChars("\u0000\u0000\u0000\u002A")
  // nice: scala has built in XML support. No string quoting hell, just
write the XML (hey, that rhymes :-)
  val testSchema = <xs:Schema ...namespace crud...
dfdl:encoding="iso-8859-1" dfdl:byteOrder="bigEndian" ...>
                    <xs:element name="testElement" type="xs:int"
dfdl:representation="binary" dfdl:lengthKind="implicit" />
                   </xs:Schema>
  val res = parser(testSchema).data(data).parse()
  val ans = (res \ "testElement")(0).text.asInt
  assertEquals(42, ans)
}

I think the same principles will apply to tutorial and expository materials
about DFDL. I.e., I like being able to put default format properties
directly on the xs:schema element!

This will really only be viable for very small examples where you only need
a few properties. That said, those are useful for people learning the
language, and trying it out via APIs.

But, I had never seen it before, and wasn't discussed, so I looked for it
in the spec, and found nothing saying you can't do it. The language in the
spec suggests it is allowed.

...mikeb