[DFDL-WG] DFDL Boolean properties

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Dec 22 03:55:14 CST 2010

Hi Joe

These properties are enums not booleans to cater for potential expansion
without introducing slave properties.  That's why they are 'yes' and 'no',
and not 'true' and 'false'.  For example, dfdl:ignoreCase is currently
'yes' or 'no', but applies to both delimiters and value - it is
conceivable that we might need to expand the enums to add 'delimiters' to
handle a requirement to ignore case when processing the delimiters but to
be case-sensitive when performing nil processing.

My recommendation is not to treat these property values as booleans when
accessing them via XPath or XQuery.

Strategy, Common Transformation & DFDL
Co-Chair, OGF DFDL WG
IBM SWG, Hursley, UK,