[DFDL-WG] DFDL Boolean properties

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Tue Dec 21 11:45:39 CST 2010

 Regards

Alan Powell

Development - MQSeries, Message Broker, ESB
IBM Software Group, Application and Integration Middleware Software
IBM
MP211, Hursley Park
Hursley, SO21 2JN
United Kingdom
Phone: +44-1962-815073
e-mail: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com

----- Forwarded by Alan Powell/UK/IBM on 21/12/2010 17:44 -----

From:   Joe Futrelle <futrelle at ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To:     Alan Powell/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Cc:     "Robert E. McGrath" <remcgrat at illinois.edu>
Date:   21/12/2010 17:01
Subject:        Re: [DFDL-WG] Agenda for OGF DFDL WG call 22 December 2010
15:00UK

I have another issue for the WG.

A number of annotation properties are in effect booleans, but they're
declared as enums of {yes,no}. Why are they not represented as XSD
booleans?

I raise this because in various XML-based standards, extra work will have
to be done to convert these values to booleans. For example, XPath and
XQuery provide a number of boolean functions that operate on xs:boolean,
and declare what is called the "effective boolean value" of a value that
is not of type xs:boolean. Unfortunately, the effective boolean value of
"no" is true:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#id-ebv

--
Joe Futrelle