[DFDL-WG] elements and combining properties with their types

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Tue May 19 11:22:19 CDT 2009

Mike

I think I prefer that the element overrides the type even though it will
look odd for in-line types.

However I don't agree with your semantics for complexTypes. Wouldn't  '
Override before scoping' be simpler and more consistent. That is, the
element overrides the complexType but not the content. Otherwise you
cannot have a 'local' override for an in-scope property.

For your example

      <complexType dfdl:encoding="ebcdic">
           <element name="x" dfdl:encoding="ascii">
             <complexType>
               <sequence dfdl:separator="," dfdl:encoding="ebcdic">
                <sequence dfdl:separator="|">

The "," would be ebcdic and the "|"  would be ascii

Alan Powell

 MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
 Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
 Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898