[DFDL-WG] New discriminator examples

Alan Powell alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Wed Dec 16 06:51:47 CST 2009

I have done a few optional examples and, with the except of simple types,
the same discriminators apply

The rules
A dfdl:discriminator resolves the presence of its parent group (sequence
or choice). Note this isn't necessarily a point of uncertainty
If the parent group is the content model for a complex types then the
instance of the element of the complex type also exists (that is: if the
group is only defining the content of a complex element then the
discriminator propagates from the group to the element automatically)

Mean that a discriminator does not resolve an optional/unordered/floating
element of simpleType (see first optional example)

Alan Powell

 MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
 Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
 Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898