[DFDL-WG] Required encodings and testing (Mike Beckerle)

RPost rp0428 at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 25 19:33:43 CDT 2008

[So if you want BOM behavior it's because the beginning of a stream has
special treatment, in this case it is reasonable to model the BOM as a
separate element to be found at the beginning of a "stream", optionally
hidden, perhaps optional, and compute dfdl:byteOrder in terms of its value.
]

Works for me. The spec should deal with the (mostly) normal stuff expected.
As a user I just want some way to use the DFDL processor to get the job
done. I don't care if I have to clone the 'official' schema for a legacy
file and tweak a few things; those are the hard cases. Sounds like there
will be a way to deal with all the issues.

The only thing I can think of, and it should be pretty rare, is when the
length-prefix has a character count that doesn't include a BOM and there is
a BOM present. Once the parser gets out of sync it may not be able to
recover. Even so a log should show what element it was trying to parse and
the position in the file for the start of the element. That would be enough
to enable me to use a hex editor, figure out what the problem was and find a
way around it.