[DFDL-WG] Material for Call on 2007-10-24

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Wed Oct 31 08:26:08 CDT 2007

We should discuss this on today's call...

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

Alan Powell/UK/IBM at IBMGB
Sent by: dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

Mike Beckerle <beckerle at us.ibm.com>
cc
dfdl-wg at ogf.org
Subject
Re: [DFDL-WG] Material for Call on 2007-10-24

Mike

I have been reviewing ch 6 Sequence Groups, Initiators and Separators  of
proposal-to-simplify-null-default-optional-handling-v4.doc and I am uneasy
about the approach of transforming the DFDL. This is because
1.      They are examples rather than rules so do not fully explain the
syntax.
2.      The results are often so convoluted that they do not, at least to
me, provide any clarification. So much so that  I believe most of the
examples are actually wrong.

I think that we should either provide proper transformation rules or just
stick to explaining original DFDL syntax.

Comments added to Ch 6 examples.

Alan Powell

MP 211, IBM UK Labs, Hursley,  Winchester, SO21 2JN, England
Notes Id: Alan Powell/UK/IBM     email: alan_powell at uk.ibm.com
Tel: +44 (0)1962 815073                  Fax: +44 (0)1962 816898

Mike Beckerle <beckerle at us.ibm.com>
Sent by: dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

dfdl-wg at ogf.org

[DFDL-WG] Material for Call on 2007-10-24

We had been reviewing the facets and default/null/optional a few weeks
back.

I said I would make revisions as a number of people had objections.

Here are documents based on these comments.

Main things I did: (1) strict adherence to minOccurs and maxOccurs. No
more notion that these are only for validity checking.
(2) simple rule for default values: if it's required and there's a default
value, then use the default value. This is for both input and output.

I put a bunch of work into illustrating the semantics of things like
dfdl:separatorPolicy="suppress" and so forth. I had been trying to
simplify this, but gave up. We're back to 3 policies here: keep, suppress,
suppressAtEnd. I did figure out a way to express these via DFDL rewriting.

...mikeb

Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group
Information Platform and Solutions
Westborough, MA 01581
direct: voice and FAX 508-599-7148
assistant: Pam Riordan
                priordan at us.ibm.com
                508-599-7046
[attachment "proposal-on-facets.doc" deleted by Alan Powell/UK/IBM]
[attachment "proposal-to-simplify-null-default-optional-handling-v4.doc"
deleted by Alan Powell/UK/IBM] --
 dfdl-wg mailing list
 dfdl-wg at ogf.org