[DFDL-WG] DFDL: Minutes of call 2007-10-24

Mike Beckerle beckerle at us.ibm.com
Wed Oct 24 12:28:20 CDT 2007

DFDL: Minutes of call 2007-10-24T12:00-04:00 (EDT.US)

Mike Beckerle
Simon Parker
Steve Hanson
Alan Powell

Topics:
- infoset proposal described. To be circulated asap by Steve for feedback
particularly from Simon.
- facets doc and null/optional/default doc

Highlights:

- approach re: strict min/max occurs interpretation and optional vs.
required generally seems to have consensus.
- ok with restrictions that unordered sequences and 'suppress' separators
ordered sequences must have initiators specified.
- nested variable length arrays inside sequences using the same delimiter
must be allowed so long as the syntax is unambiguous.

- we decided to reconsider whether groups (sequence or choice) should be
allowed to carry max/min occurs. This introduces some infoset issues (how
do you discuss the 2nd child of the 2nd anonymous sequence of an element -
XML Infoset and even XML PSVI say you can't. We need to be able to.).
There are substantial benefits to allowing this min/max occurs in that it
lets us express the semantics of many properties with compact examples of
equivalent DFDL.  We expect these advantages to carry over also into user
format specifications.

- additional comments on these docs are sought asap so as to have them
before reintegrating this into the main spec.

Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing
IBM Software Group
Information Platform and Solutions