[DFDL-WG] Minutes from 10/3 meeting

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Fri Oct 5 05:36:46 CDT 2007

Mike et al

Some comments on proposal-on-facets.doc prior to today's extra call:

- I had come to the same conclusion about deriving the dfdl:length of
decimals etc from the min/max/inclusive/exclusive or totalDigits facets -
it's a tooling feature not a DFDL spec feature. I did wonder whether that
same argument could be applied to deriving dfdl:length of strings from
length/maxLength but that would force the user to enter the same length
twice which is poor usability.  So I am happy with the proposed scope of
dfdl:lengthKind="useSchemaFacet". Should we change the enum to
"useSchemaLength" ?

- I don't think we should be considering dropping
min/max/inclusive/exclusive or totalDigits facets.  I might have a binary
integer that I want to validate against a range - such an integer would
not have a numberFormat.

- Dropping pattern facet prevents a user from validating that a fixed
length or delimited string contains certain characters, eg, is pure
alphabetic. I think pattern facet should be retained. We have them in MRM
for validation so dropping is a functional loss.

- Let's only drop those facets that don't have a sensible validation
semantic in DFDL. That to me means whitespace only.

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Message Brokers
Hursley, UK
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

Mike Beckerle <beckerle at us.ibm.com>
Sent by: dfdl-wg-bounces at ogf.org

dfdl-wg at ogf.org

[DFDL-WG] Minutes from 10/3 meeting

Attached is revised "facets" document based on discussion in the meeting.

Meeting friday on defaults/nulls/optionals.

Also discussed: OGF upcoming meeting - alan going - goals for this are -
udpate on our progress and recruiting.

Also discussed: XPath 2.0 - spec is so huge it makes an excess burden for
DFDL implementations if we say our expression language is all of Xpath
2.0.
Can we subset it? E.g., XPath 2.0 language constructs, but with the
smaller XPath 1.0 function library?
This is not enough as we want to avoid even some language things e.g., we
don't need the  iteration constructs. What else?

Agreed that the most critical thing is that our path language is
consistent with XPath 2.0 semantics.

Alan writing up a proposal.

Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing