[DFDL-WG] can someone draft this?

Mike Beckerle beckerle at us.ibm.com
Tue Mar 27 18:09:51 CDT 2007

I've been working on the DFDL spec quite a bit. Steve Hanson suggested
that this woudl be good to have in the document before the April OGF.

      5. What is DFDL, including a sub-section giving scope of DFDL 1.0.

Right now the doc has this content which is pretty much entirely
TBD/placeholder.

Can someone step up to the plate to revise this? I am working on other
aspects than this, i.e., trying to reorganize and straighten out the
decomposition of the semantics into the parse function and parse
strategies. I really want to focus on this aspect, but I agree with steve
that thsi woudl be great to have done in time.

-----------------------------------

What is DFDL Version 1.0?
Version 1.0 of DFDL is a language capable of expressing a wide array of
binary and text-based data formats.
DFDL is capable of describing binary data as found in the data structures
of Cobol, C, PL1, Fortran, etc. In particular, it is able to describe
repeating sub-arrays where the length of an array is stored in another
location of the structure.
TBD....
DFDL is capable of describing a wide variety of textual data formats.
These include TBD:list of examples.
TBD: mixtures. Composition properties. I.e., two formats can be nested,
concatenated, etc. to create a new working format definition. (limitations
here due to regexp?)
The following topics have been deferred to future versions of the
standard:
Extensibility: There are real examples of proprietary data format
description languages that we use as our base of experience from which to
derive standard DFDL. However, there are no examples of extensible format
description languages; hence, while extensibility is desirable in DFDL,
there is not yet a base of experience with extensibility from which to
derive a standard.
Layering: Some formats require data to be described in multiple layers.
That is, where one element's contents becomes the representation of
another element. DFDL V1.0 allows description of only one layer.