[dfdl-wg] Telcon notes 2006-2-22

Westhead, Martin (Martin) westhead at avaya.com
Wed Feb 22 12:02:12 CST 2006

Present

Martin Westhead

Tara Talbott

Suman Kalia

Bob McGrath

Geoff Judd

Steve Hanson

Jim Myers

1.     F2F Logistics and Agenda

Logistics: aim for an 8.30 am start on March 1st.

Conference phone dialin: 1- 866-AVAYA-22

Participant Code: 785343

WebConf Reference: 158672

Web conf url: https://webconferencing.avaya.com
<https://webconferencing.avaya.com/>

(Note that the participant code for the phone and web conference is the
same.)

158672

The discussion about variables and the context seems to be largely
resolved, otherwise the Agenda

2.     Reports from trackers

Some progress is being made on several trackers (scoping, defaults,
choices...etc.) for presentation at the F2F.

3. Variables and Context
We reviewed a discussion between Martin and Geoff over the semantics of
variables and the context. Geoff had an important requirement that could
not be handled by contexts illustrated by the following example:

 <xsd:element name="outerElem">
<xsd:complexType>
    <xsd:sequence>
         <xsd:element name="innerElem" maxOccurs="10">
            <xsd:complexType>
               <xsd:sequence>
                    <xsd:element name="numberOfEntries" type="xsd:int"
dfdl:setGlobal="COUNT"/>
                    <xsd:element name="repString" type="xsd:string"
                                              minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"
                                      dfdl:repeatCount="$COUNT"/>
                  </xsd:sequence>
              <xsd:complexType>
          </xsd:sequence>
</xsd:complexType>
</xsd:element>

With the current semantics this would fail because a global context
value can only be set once. Setting in the local context would not work
because COUNT would not be in the context of the repString element.

A resolution to this issue was agreed involving introducing a
declaration statement which could declare but not set a variable. When a
local context set was used, if the identifier referred to such a
declared but unassigned variable it would have the effect of assigning a
value to that instead of setting the local context. In this way we could
control the depth at which the context value was defined and ensure that
it occurred at the right level.

4.     Conversions etc.

No new material here. We are still waiting for a more fully worked
example using some sort of string separator. Hopefully this will be
ready for the F2F.