[dfdl-wg] Telcon Summary 2005-09-07

Martin Westhead martinwesthead at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 04:50:41 CDT 2005

Present
-------
Mike Bekerle
Robert McGrath
Steve Hanson
Tara Talbott
Martin Westhead
Geoff Judd

Plans for F2F at GGF
--------------------

- we should get the schedule for the DFDL sessions at GGF15 at end of
this week.

- we'll schedule DFDL WG F2F sessions around these time slots on the
other days of the conference.

- we have booked a conf. room (seats 10) at an IBM facility a short
distance (walkable, quick cab ride) from the GGF15 event for DFDL WG F2F
discussions on the other days. (I have all 3 days held now.)

Trackers vs. issues list
------------------------

Discussed value of trackers against the issues list. It was thought that
trackers should be used for tracking large scale actions, the list for
small grained issues.

Email vs. Forums
----------------

Some are still unhappy about the difficulty of reading unthreaded
discussions.
However, notification on Grid Forge is still broken on the Forums. The
group was unable to come up with anything better than email. We will put
pressure, GGF to fix this and progress with email for now. IBM will also
look at using alternative mail readers that with display threads.

Choosing topics/issues for discussion
-------------------------------------

Ideally topics will be chosen in the previous meeting. However, for now
an item by item review of the issues list seems to be our current process.

Issues list review
------------------

Reviewed items 1-4.

Set up new trackers:
   - Arrays [Bob McGrath]
   - Scoping (including Selector) [Mike Bekerle]
   - Layers  [Tara Talbott]

All to report by Face to Face Oct 3rd.

Notes on trackers:
   - The assignments are not as above. I can only assign projects to
people who are members of DFDL. To get membership you have to go to the
DFDL page and click on "Request membership" in the top right. Can Tara
and Bob, and anyone else who might lead a team do this please?
   - I made a mistake and submitted the Layers item twice. I have not
worked out how to delete it so I moved it to "Dead items" tracker...