[dfdl-wg] Notes from Telecon 2005-11-23

Mike Beckerle beckerle at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 23 12:20:01 CST 2005

Notes from DFDL call 2005-11-23 by Mike Beckerle

Review of trackers

Arrays - waiting on extensibility

Scoping - not blocked. Design team discussions underway. Shooting for
design-team resolution in 7 to 14 days then to WG.

Layers - waiting on (or part of?) extensibility

Null & Default - not blocked. Internal design-team discussions/drafts
ongoing.

Property List - not blocked. Suman has done some work recently. Dependent
on organization of properties which depends on scoping.

Open Content & Wildcards - not blocked. Distributed discussion doc to WG.

Choice and Guards - not blocked. Distributed discussion doc to WG.

Use Statement - unblocked. Low priority. (note taker's revision - this is
actually pending the scoping stuff, not just because I'm working on both,
but it is tied up there technically also.)

Extensibility - not blocked. Conf. call held. Need to write up ideas from
it. Several trackers depend on this one. Document in formulation by design
team members.

Expressions - waiting on scoping. Should study XSL variables in
expressions.

Parameters and Keying - doc distributed to WG. Make Priority 2? Other
items depend on this. Interacts with choice and guards.

Late Binding - internal discussions in team. Related to parameters and
keying.

Parser behavior - place holder for topics we didn't want to drop. Move
ownership from Bob McGrath to Steve Hanson and/or Geoff Judd?

Packed bits - place holder to remind us we need to revisit this topic. Low
prio for now.

Pointers - place holder. MikeB suggested pointers might not be important
for v1.0 of DFDL? Jim Myers indicated there needs to be some way to do
them. I.e., someone with a format that has pointers in it still needs to
be able to use DFDL even if it doesn't help them with the pointer aspect.

Paramters and Keying discussion

We'll continue discussion on next week's call.

Jim Myers(JM) - overlaps with extensibility. Looks alot like white-box
transforms.

Steve Hanson(SH) - yes, that was also observed though we didn't write it
up.

JM - are there examples that can't or shouldn't be thought of as
transforms?

Bob McGrath (BM) - can variables hold the value of another variable? Lots
of papers on language design. Is this proposal a sensible one?

JM - can variables be reset? Can we make sure we know how to order and
parse things? I.e., do we need rules like defining variables "above" their
point of use?

Geoff Judd (GJ) - Agrees that we need such rules.

BM - relationship to XSL variables? Similarities/differences. Finds XSL
variables and their rules complex.

GJ - comment on XSL (didn't catch this in my notes)

Martin Westhead (MW) - XSL variables are single assignment.

SH - need default value in addition to "override" or setting.

JM - we have defaults for data items. Can we use that mechanism and avoid
another defaults-resolution means for parameters/variables?

Mike Beckerle (MB) - in declarative languages, variables with assignment
can be problematic because the order of execution isn't so clear. The
reason to use a declarative language is to allow the implementation to
reorder things and so forth. Makes free assignment of variables an issue,
so single assignment makes sense.

End Notes
Mike Beckerle
STSM, Architect, Scalable Computing