[dfdl-wg] Bit/byte order

Martin Westhead martinwesthead at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 16:37:23 CDT 2005

Hi all,

This is a discussion topic that came up in last weeks telcon.

Mike asserted that only byte order was needed. I was not completely
comfortable with this and said I'd investigate. After talking it over
with various folks and looking a couple of things up, I have reached the
conclusion that I agree with Mike.

The key observation is that microprocessors handle bytes in parallel,
there is no "bit pointer". So, within the context of data on a machine
the only ordering over bits is their with respect to significance.
Hence, to all intents and purposes, as Mike observes, bit-order==byte-order.

It is the case that hardware representations of binary data will have a
particular bit-ordering - Ethernet for example is LSB first,
representations of data on tapes (or disks) will have a bit ordering.
However the conclusion I reached from discussions here was that this is
a red-herring for DFDL. Bit-order in this context is one of a number of
physical aspects of the data representation which would include
frequencies, signal strengths etc. There may be some archival value in
recording all that stuff, and you could put it in DFDL, but I think that
  stuff is safely out of scope for where we are now. As soon as you are
looking at your data from software you have bytes.

Cheers,

Martin