[dfdl-wg] DFDL Schema and test case format for forthcoming prototype

mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com mike.beckerle at ascentialsoftware.com
Wed Feb 16 13:05:56 CST 2005

I posted schemas and a single test case file up at grid forge as a way of
letting people know a little more about what we're up to at Ascential.
Here's the zip file of them:

http://forge.gridforum.org/projects/dfdl-wg/document/ascl-info-impl-2005-02-
16.zip/en/1.

It's a grid forge thing that this will download as a ".zip.unknown" file,
requiring you to rename it.

We've written a few more test files than are included here, covering Jim
Myers's examples from last summer, and then some, and they validate as XML
under a few different validators, but nothing is running yet to process
them. The enclosed example in the zip file is the one we're hoping to make
work this week.

So the simple way to understand our prototype is that it runs tests like
these, and is otherwise intended to be easy to change as the specs evolve,
and is focused on simplicity and clarity, not speed.

Our goal with these testCase files is that you can get a hex dump of some
interesting data, paste it into a test case document like this, and thereby
easily create self-contained tests.

Here's the README.txt contents:

This directory contains test files in the xml/tests subdirectory, and common
schemas in the xsd subdirectory.

xml/tests/testSimpleBinaryIntegers1.dfdl.xsd - DFDL annotated XML schema for
very simple data. 2 binary integers
xml/tests/testSimpleBinaryIntegers1.xml - test case file. References the
schema, includes hexified binary data, and result data for comparison.

xsd/dfdl.xsd and .html - the schema for the DFDL annotations
xsd/testCase.xsd and .html - the schema for the test files

The html documentation is generated by a tool we use called Oxygen XML.

XMLSchema.xsd - These four are used in validating DFDL annotated schemas to
insure they are valid XSD.
XMLSchema.dtd - These are all available from the web, but are included here
for speed reasons.
datatypes.xsd
datatypes.dtd