[dfdl-wg] simple way to study hard DFDL example problem - IBMFormat VS rec ords as XML

Steve Hanson smh at uk.ibm.com
Mon Nov 22 04:57:51 CST 2004

I wrote my previous mail fairly quickly just before I left on Friday to get
something on the table. I've been thinking about this problem over the
weekend and have some more thoughts which might help me get across where I
am coming from.

The way I view physical rep information is as functions that can be applied
to types and fields. Writing the data out to a blocked/segmented format
does not fall into this category. It is an orthogonal operation that
applies to the whole data and as such is much more akin to encryption and
compression. For example, I have a COBOL structure that ends up in an
MQSeries queue and in a QSAM file. It has a logical structure, it has a
physical representation. In the QSAM case a further transform has taken
place to block/segment the structure. I would not expect to see the
physical rep properties of the types and elements change.

Mike's idea of a schema level 'stream' rep property sounds ok in principle
for parsing, but what other metadata is needed when serialising? How are we
informed of the rules for VB blocking or for IMS segmentation? Are they
fixed or user-defined? If these rules end up requiring extra metadata at
the type/element level then I am not comfortable with this, because we are
mixing two sets of physical information.

I think that whatever principles we apply to DFDL including/excluding
encryption and compression we should also apply to these formats.  What is
the current proposal in this area? The cheapest option would be to provide
a flexible user-defined transform capability.

We can discuss more on this week's call, but it sounds like this is another
of the high-level design issues to be included in the F2F agenda.

Finally a correction. When I said that the broker does not support these 19
or whatever formats, I should have been more specific and said that the
broker's message model does not support these. That is, we do not provide
physical rep annotation support  for such formats, for the reason stated
above. The expectation is that is that the
decryption/decompression/deblocking has all taken place as a separate
transformation elsewhere in the broker.

Regards, Steve

Steve Hanson
WebSphere Business Integration Brokers,
IBM Hursley, England
Internet: smh at uk.ibm.com
Phone (+44)/(0) 1962-815848

             "Myers, James D"
             <jim.myers at pnl.go
             v>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  dfdl-wg at gridforum.org
             owner-dfdl-wg at ggf                                          cc
             .org
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [dfdl-wg] simple way to study
             19/11/2004 17:04          hard DFDL example problem -
                                       IBMFormat VS rec      ords as XML

I think we at least agree in practice that there's a limit on how
complex a transform you'd want to code in DFDL logic. Not sure if we
agree on whether it is possible.

As for LR parsers - I'm not a parser guy, but I just looked at the
wikipedia entry :-) :

Seems like a simple enough concept - if you let me have layers, and I
can use information in those layers to select choices for further
processing, can you stop me from making an LR parser (or doing what an
LR parser does)? I've got a stack, and choices let me specify an action
table... In the same way that if you give me layers (or variables),
addition, and for loops, you can't stop me from doing multiplication.
And if you require those  things for other reasons but don't need
multiplication, you can't really talk about excluding multiplication
from the language design. You can say that we won't worry about
multiplcation examples or how easy it is to write them down or what
performance you'll get trying to run them and suggest that you plug
something in to handle them directly though, and this is probably what
we need to do in DFDL.

I may still be missing something and there is a piece of functionality
that we haven't identified a need for that would be needed for an LR
parser/our pathological examples, but I guess I'm getting more convinced
that our primitives are sufficiently powerful that they can be
used/abused to do all of the complex things that have come up. I'm not
sure how we can close the issue - specify the map from DFDL primitives
to LR parser as I started to above, or find an example known to require
LR parsing and work it? Or?

  Jim