[dfdl-wg] simple way to study hard DFDL example problem - IBMFormat VS rec ords as XML

Myers, James D jim.myers at pnl.gov
Fri Nov 19 11:34:18 CST 2004

	Unfortuantely, there's a slippery slope here - there are no ints
on the disk, just logical ones and zeros that you can transform into a
second logical structure composed of ints, assuming you specify byte
order. I think we have a whole stream of examples beyond that - removing
delimiters, using a length prefix to define the length of a subsequent
structure, etc. - that we see as minor transformations to something
still relatively "compliant" with the physical structure, but, I
believe, require the same machinery as things I think we will all agree
are beyond the scope of what DFDL should aim for.

	In practice, I think people should get out of DFDL as soon as
possible just as you say - use other technologies once you get an
initial structure. But I think there are cases where you have to stay in
DFDL - anything where I have to transform the initial
physically-compliant structure to interpret subsequent fields - x and y
ints tell me how many pixel repeats, an int greater than another int
read previsouly implies a different subsequent structure, etc. And
again, the minimal mechinery to do that lets you go farther than you'd
want people to go in practice.

	There may also be reasonable use cases where the ability to stay
in DFDL is important. For example, take digital preservation, where I
might want to map all document files to a standardized schema,
regardless of whether it was word, pdf, etc. Being able to specify the
full descriptions in one file that then requires only one parser to
interpret all formats *might* be worth the cost to do complex things in
DFDL. I don't think our goal for a version 1 should be to support such
use, but I don't think we can meet our simple goals without
'accidentally' making it possible.

	I'd be happy to be proved wrong - seems like a deep point that
would be cool to understand. I'm not sure how we get to a 'proof' though
- we're trying to prove that there exists something DFDL as currently
formulated can't describe. So - we either need to find that example or
turn to some sort of logic formalism to discover what primitive(s) we're
missing that keep us for emulating some class of parser/programming. (Or
find something in DFDL that we don't need to support the examples we do
want to target...).

	  Jim