[dcifed-wg] DCIFed status

Craig Lee craig.a.lee at aero.org
Mon May 30 12:46:11 CDT 2011

Alex, Gary, et al.,

I strongly encourage a short write-up on OCCI/CDMI/OVF.  These three
standards were mentioned as a group multiple times at the NIST Cloud
Standards Summit (both Alan and I attended).  This group also appears in
the NIST Cloud Standards Roadmap -- the first complete draft should be
available this June.  I can't promise this material would get into the
Roadmap, but we need to make the strongest possible, defensible
recommendations wrt existing and emerging standards for cloud computing.

Wrt Use Cases -- and broad use case requirements -- many sets of cloud
use cases have been compiled, even among the NIST Cloud WGs.  If DCIFed
wants to compile another set of use cases, I would recommend taking some
time to at least review and comment on the other sets that have been
compiled.  I agree with the use case requirements that Gary mentions in
his earlier email.  I would add, though, that Vivek Kundra has said that
_document management_, i.e., document workflow, is the single largest
use case for the US gov.  (This is probably true for all governments!)
It also seems to me that secure access through mobile devices, i.e.,
smartphones, is also high on the list.

--Craig