[DAIS-WG] Document Change: WS-DAI Version 1.0

Mike Jackson michaelj at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu May 27 05:55:28 CDT 2010

Hi Steve, all,

The one main outstanding issue is for the following in DAI-Core...

DatasetTooLargeFault

  An operation returning a dataset (e.g. a direct access query operation
  such as GenericQuery) failed because the resulting dataset was too large.
  Possible reasons for the generation of this fault could be if the service
  doesn't have enough memory to process the dataset or it is too large to
  be sent back to the client in a single response document. Receiving a
  DatasetTooLargeFault in response to a query implies that the client
  should attempt an indirect-access operation to obtain the results of the
  query.

You comment

"There is still an issue about whether this should be a fault associated
  with factory operations too. My feeling is that it shouldn't be because
  factory operations do not return a dataset, so a DatasetTooLargeFault
  appears out-of-place for factory ops."

Part of the definition states:

"Receiving a DatasetTooLargeFault in response to a query implies that the
  client should attempt an indirect-access operation to obtain the results
  of the query."

Under this view, I'd agree with you. But another part states:

"Possible reasons for the generation of this fault could be if the service
  doesn't have enough memory to process the dataset".

Under this view, the fault is valid for factory operations. The service
may not have enough memory to process the dataset to be able to
successfully invoke the factory operation (e.g. a WS-DAIR may provide an
in-memory implementation of a SQLResponse or SQLRowSet resource and not
have enough memory to hold 10,000,000 rows).

The fault's being used for two distinct problems. One to do with resource
implementation on the server, the other with what the client-server web
service implementation can handle. We'd really need two faults e.g.

DatasetTooLargeForServerFault
DatasetTooLargeForDirectAccessFault

Comments?

Cheers,

mike

Dr. Michael (Mike) Jackson        E-mail: m.jackson at epcc.ed.ac.uk
EPCC                              http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk
Software Sustainability Institute http://www.software.ac.uk
OGSA-DAI Open Source Project      http://tinyurl.com/ogsa-dai
OGSA-DAI                          http://www.ogsadai.org.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.