[DAIS-WG] WS-DAI Core WSDL

Mike Jackson michaelj at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 04:57:19 CST 2010

Hi Alasdair,

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010, Alasdair J G Gray wrote:

> As part of the SemSorGrid4Env project [1], I have been developing a Web
> service to enable data access to data streams. As a project, we have
> decided to adopt the WS-DAI standard for data access and define suitable
> extensions for streaming data. However, I have encountered numerous
> problems in using the WS-DAI Core WSDL specifications [2] with recent
> Web service frameworks, specifically Axis2 [3] and CXF [4]. The root
> cause of these problems stems from the use of multiple porttypes in the
> WS-DAI Core specification, which is not so well supported in these Web
> service frameworks due to the move to using a single interface for a Web
> service in WSDL 2.0.
>
> Here are some specific questions:

I'm an OGSA-DAI developer, so can answer this question...

> Have other developers, e.g. the OGSA-DAI team, encountered such issues
> and how have they resolved them? Also, are there plans on moving the
> OGSA-DAI software to use a more recent Web service framework than Axis
> [5]?

We didn't encounter the issue as the WS-DAI WSDLs are based on WSDL 1.1 so
we continued to use Apache Axis 1.4, which (in addition to GT4.0/4.2) we
traditionally use for web service development.

I should clarify at this point the distinction between WS-DAI and
OGSA-DAI. OGSA-DAI is not an implementation of WS-DAI as it currently
stands - its service APIs are based on a version from March 2003 which
featured workflows. The specifications diverged from OGSA-DAI after this
point and WS-DAI no longer has the notion of workflows. However, the
product retained them as they were of use to our users.

OGSA-DAI WS-DAIR and WS-DAIX are however reference implementations of the
latest WS-DAIR versions. These were built using OGSA-DAI -
WS-DAI-compliant service layers have their functionality implemented
behind the scenes using OGSA-DAI's workflow engine. AMGA WS-DAIR provides
another reference implementation using a different approach.

There are no plans at this time to update OGSA-DAI to use more recent web
service frameworks.

I'll leave these questions to the specification authors...

> Are there plans to update the WS-DAI standards, specifically to use WSDL
> 2.0 with its single interface declaration per service?
> Why does the WS-DAI Core specification WSDL not declare the
> GenericQueryFactory operation in the same way that it has a GenericQuery
> operation?

Cheers,

mike

Dr. Michael (Mike) Jackson      E-mail: m.jackson at epcc.ed.ac.uk
OGSA-DAI project                EPCC
WWW: http://www.ogsadai.org.uk  WWW:  http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk
      http://sourceforge.net/projects/ogsa-dai

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.