[DAIS-WG] WS-DAI Core WSDL

Alasdair J G Gray A.Gray at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Jan 14 03:46:07 CST 2010

As part of the SemSorGrid4Env project [1], I have been developing a Web service to enable data access to data streams. As a project, we have decided to adopt the WS-DAI standard for data access and define suitable extensions for streaming data. However, I have encountered numerous problems in using the WS-DAI Core WSDL specifications [2] with recent Web service frameworks, specifically Axis2 [3] and CXF [4]. The root cause of these problems stems from the use of multiple porttypes in the WS-DAI Core specification, which is not so well supported in these Web service frameworks due to the move to using a single interface for a Web service in WSDL 2.0.

Here are some specific questions:
Have other developers, e.g. the OGSA-DAI team, encountered such issues and how have they resolved them? Also, are there plans on moving the OGSA-DAI software to use a more recent Web service framework than Axis [5]?
Are there plans to update the WS-DAI standards, specifically to use WSDL 2.0 with its single interface declaration per service?
Why does the WS-DAI Core specification WSDL not declare the GenericQueryFactory operation in the same way that it has a GenericQuery operation?

Thanks,

Alasdair

[1] http://www.semsorgrid4env.eu/
[2] http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.74.pdf