[DAIS-WG] TooLargeDataRequestFault

Mike Jackson michaelj at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 24 04:03:37 CDT 2009

Hi Mario,

I think the proposal for the fault is a good one. There may be cases where
implementors of direct access operations e.g. GenericQuery, SQLExecute or
XPath, can identify if a query will result in data (or has resulted in
data) of a quantity that cannot be managed server-side or returned via a
web service response to the client. From this a client may choose to rerun
their query using an indirect access approach.

And if this is added to the spec, then, of course, an optional test should
be added for it. The test will need some implementation specific
configuration as one implementation may readily handle a data set that
would give problems (and raise the fault) within another.

Cheers,

mike