[DAIS-WG] DAIS RDF Telcon Notes

Malcolm Atkinson mpa at nesc.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 06:37:22 CDT 2009

Rob et al.

real distributed systems with autonomously evolving components are the
only ones we will ever have on any large and long-term scale.
No one can freeze services, data types, representations, standards,
etc. for the life-time of systems.
Ergo, that complexity is fundamental to large and long running systems.

It is also fundamental to would-be component and service providers
that they will have to operate (a) in a great many different contexts,
and (b) in contexts that change.
Ergo, whether we like it or not, we have to face that complexity.

Most DB research, most Software Engineering research, most DB research
is virtually useless because it pretends we can magically avoid
autonomous change by some unspecified trick or suggestion completely
incompatible with human and organisational behaviour.

One of the reasons DBs have acted as the glue-ware for coupling
distributed application systems is because the *commercial* products
have some support for autonomous evolution: applications have the "I'm
the only kid on the block" illusion via transactions, schema editors,
queries that deliver results of the same type even when source tables
have changed, views, distributed queries, etc. Not as elegant,
efficient or flexible as we would like but a good pragmatic solution.

I'm totally happy for exploration of alternative underpinning
mechanisms for OGSA-DAI because it makes it more resilient to
contextual change and introduces more paths to adoption.  But every
distributed-systems engineer must realise that the complexity
generated by autonomous is real and develop strategies for coping with
it. RESTful hasn't as far as I know, so it will all be down to the
individual developers and system architects.  WS has, in principle,
that in mind, but stalled for reasons described in another email.

Malcolm