[DAIS-WG] DAIS / SAGA...

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Tue Feb 19 13:28:49 CST 2008

Hi Mario,

I Cc this to the SAGA list, as it may help to prepare the
session.  Sorry for the cross posting folx!

Quoting [Mario Antonioletti] (Feb 19 2008):

> Hi Andre,
>          Apologies for not having replied before - I will try to attend
> this session. Are you expecting anything? i.e. a presentation or anything
> else? Slightly concerned as, you said, we've had interactions before but
> have had difficulties following these up due to time constraints. Let me
> know if you want anything for the session and once again my apologies for
> not having replied afore.

No worries, nothing required apart from active
participation.  Its more a brainstorming, and an attempt to
align our activities.  The goal would be an answer to the
following questions:

  - is there real potential for a DAIS package in SAGA?
  - if yes, can we come up with a reasonable work force to
    attack it?
  - if yes, can we come up with a reasonable time line?

The main open points in respect to question one are, from
our side:

  - what part of DAIS should actually be exposed on SAGA API
    level?
  - are different DAIS renderings exposed on API level, or
    can the API be uniform over the renderings?
  - is an extension mechanism required/possible for the
    different activity types?
  - should custom (i.e. domain specific) activity types be
    supported?  How?
  - Can the DAIS data flow mechanism merged/combined with
    the SAGA task model (whcih has more potential as a basis
    for workflow)?

You see, there are many general questions before we can
start with drafting an actual API...

Best,

  Andre.