[ot][random] a partial book experience: Walking Free from the Trauma

Fri Jun 30 16:39:21 PDT 2023

# Part One

## Setting the scene

https://doi.org/10.4324/9781003305798-1

[ Illustration: A bird perches on a post holding an arrow'd sign
saying "THIS WAY". The bird looks down at a person in jeans and a
sweater unfolding a large map as they step forward. A huge pack
containing many bulky hidden items is lain to rest on the ground
behind them. ][attachment P1A.jpg]

I live in a beautiful rural area of England, by a road that was used
for hundreds of years by traders using packhorses to take their
merchandise from one town or village to another. Here and there, it is
still possible to see ancient milestones telling the traveller how
many miles they have walked from the last town and how far they still
have to go to the next. Often they must have thought the way was long
and slow, but each milestone meant real progress and a sense that
their destination was that bit closer.

I see the process of recovery and growth after a coercive, cultic or
spiritually abusive experience as a journey. It takes time and effort
and we need a roadmap as we navigate across bumpy terrain and around
some roadblocks, but there is a way through and a destination worth
seeking.

I have made this journey of recovery and growth myself and sat with
many clients as they have made their own journey. I have discovered
that, although we all come from different types of abusive and
coercive groups or relationships, many aspects of our journeys follow
a similar course, and we need to pass the same milestones, one step at
a time.

Before we start, I will give you an overview of the book and the
Walking Free journey by introducing you to the Roadmap and a summary
of what is to come.