Bank.org Emerging Market Innovation

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Thu Jun 29 04:30:46 PDT 2023

At Bank.org, we have been working on a cool new innovation solution in New
York that engages ideas below.

Gunnar
----

https://www.devex.com/news/how-high-interest-rates-threaten-reversal-on-financial-inclusion-gains-105784

Having access to a bank account and savings is key to lifting living
standards, but as my colleague Shabtai Gold reports, high interest rates
around the world are seeing investors flee perceived risky investments in
emerging markets, including fintech. It’s bad news at a time when global
poverty rates are rising for the first time in a generation.

“Under the zero interest rates in developed markets, there was a lot of
appetite from investors in the U.S. and Europe to jump into new emerging
markets,” John Fischer, chief investment officer at impact investing
nonprofit Accion tells Shabtai. “But certainly on the inclusive fintech
side, we’ve seen a pause on that.”

Among Fischer’s proposed solutions: International financial institutions
need to step in to create markets and build local capacity, while
nonfinancial firms can boost things such as supply chain financing and
insurance programs, known in the jargon as “embedded finance.”

Farmers getting insurance as part of their seed purchases are more
resilient to climate shocks, for instance. Just one of the ways financial
inclusion helps other development objectives.