Coronavirus: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 23:28:55 PDT 2023

> Multi $Million Charity Debate Challenge gets cowardly REFUSED

Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
1h
Stupid, Luddite policy. Might as well decline to use the printing
press and hire monks to copy each issue by hand.
nature @Nature
Jun 7
Editorial: Why Nature will not allow the use of generative AI in
images and video go.nature.com/42sFnj9
5
1
46
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
1h
One of many reasons policy is Luddite
Jakob Nikolas Kather @jnkath
Jun 8
I believe it is wrong that @nature @NaturePortfolio bans all #AI
generated images from its content. We use AI generated symbols and
illustrations like these 👇👇👇👇 all the time. Saves a ton of work
when visually explaining scientific concepts.
1
20
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
1h
So many ideas of what to add to medical school, residency and
fellowship training I have this crazy idea that one goal of the
training should be to teach doctors how to care for patients.
19
10
203
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
2h
Of course he is correct. Medicine, the profession, never addressed
pharmaceutical conflict of interest and as a result has a gaping
credibility problem. Next 20 years will see this problem grow.
Calley Means @calleymeans
4h
One company (@pfizer) is able to pay doctors nearly $800 million in a
single year. But it is “dangerous” to even ask a question of those
doctors, and invalid to engage them in debate. The gold standard is
the studies paid for directly by the drug companies. Got it.
Show this thread
11
52
5
209
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
14h
Regulating gas stoves is the dumbest public health idea imaginable.
There are so many bigger issues and the science claiming replacing gas
w electric will lower bad outcomes is as close as garbage as it gets.
Fake issue. Waste of time. nytimes.com/2023/06/17/clima…
Study Compares Gas Stove Pollution to Secondhand Cigarette Smoke

One burner could raise indoor concentrations of benzene, which is
linked to cancer risk, above levels that have prompted investigations
when detected outdoors.
nytimes.com
66
143
9
1,042
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
15h
M1 is the worst imo but paying for M4 knowing it is entirely a waste,
hurts the most in retrospect
Michael Burt @MBurt34
20h
which is the worst year of med school?
6
50
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
15h
I think this is well said. He gets why RFK has massive appeal 👇 More
politicians have to be honest about the oversized role of Pharma.
Basically running the FDA.
Calley Means @calleymeans
15h
The @joerogan / @RobertKennedyJr bruhaha shines light on the most
important issue in America. Pharma companies have given us the opioid
crisis, lockdown policies, and 50% prediabetes rates. We're bullied to
blindly trust them, but they deserve ZERO benefit of the doubt. There…
nitter.tokhmi.xyz/i/web/status/167…
38
98
4
893
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
16h
This is why Hotez would be an awful debater. Joe Rogan and Elon have a
range of views, but none are fascist and many are actually very left
of center. They don't fit into partisan boxes. There is a way to
acknowledge what RFK is right about and the parts where he is off.
Joe Rogan @joerogan
17h
Are you sure I’m not a part of a coalition with neofascist leanings?
Seems like that’s what you really think, or what you’re projecting to
the masses.
Show this thread
122
104
10
1,356
Vinay Prasad MD MPH retweeted
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
17h
Replying to @doc_gero @handmadekathy
Many of the tactics that are successful in verbal debate are not
particularly those relevant to vaccine development. It would be a
massacre of epic proportions to allow a gifted speaker to debate
someone who is a raving partisan.
15
12
153
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
17h
RFK Jr would destroy Hotez. I would be happy to have a conversation
with RFK Jr. I think it is important to acknowledge what RFK is saying
about regulatory capture that is very right and then I would probe the
parts I disagree with.
GeroDoc @doc_gero
17h
@joerogan forget @PeterHotez - have @VPrasadMDMPH on your show to
debate @RobertKennedyJr. An RFK vs. Hotez debate would be brutal for
Hotez, & would not be particularly informative either
335
419
56
5,249
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
I will add this response to my thread. Post progression therapy would
be even higher if you didn't sit around letting people deteriorate for
a few months on placebo. What are we even talking about here?
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
The trial is unethical and disgusting Colon cancer patients died on
placebo when there are drugs we would give, and which were given post
progression Be honest, you are prioritizing researchers feelings over
the lives of human beings dying on study so a company can make money.
Show this thread
1
44
Show this thread
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
The trial is unethical and disgusting Colon cancer patients died on
placebo when there are drugs we would give, and which were given post
progression Be honest, you are prioritizing researchers feelings over
the lives of human beings dying on study so a company can make money.
Dayo Fadelu @temidayo
23h
Replying to @VPrasadMDMPH
One could disagree with a study's approach without calling it
"disgusting" and "unethical", or cherry-picking parts that mislead the
casual observer who doesn't read the publication... I'm not defending
Fruquitinib @CathyEngMD's... just pointing out faulty premises in the
thread
10
20
1
170
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
The author points out that post-progression therapy is low. That's
true. But the study wasted their time so their performance status
could deteriorate. And many may not be in places where they have
access to. The drug. Would be higher if it was active. Comparator
1
1
14
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
This
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
Replying to @temidayo @CathyEngMD
Totally wrong. You can give the same drugs again. In fact, many people
did post protocol. Just because something's permitted does not mean
it's ethical. This was unethical. End of story.
1
1
13
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
Honestly, this is nonsense. We would give the same drugs again. You
can keep giving 5 FU. We used to do it. In fact that's what they did
post protocol. Could have been a lot higher if they did it before they
had progression.
Dayo Fadelu @temidayo
19h
Replying to @ripecortex @VPrasadMDMPH @CathyEngMD
Of course.. time is precious when one is facing a terminal disease...
If you read the paper closely, the patients included had exhausted all
standard treatment. No clear good alternatives... And the people who
were in the active treatment group lived 2.6 months longer...
1
1
1
11
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
Yes, It is corrupt and unethical. When you would in real life give
someone 5fu. When you would give your mother 5u. When you would give
your father 5fu. And when you give it after progression, as they did
Placebo control crc trials need to go bye bye
Dayo Fadelu @temidayo
23h
Replying to @temidayo @VPrasadMDMPH @CathyEngMD
-While one can raise legitimate questions about drug pricing, trial
sponsorship etc. It is neither corrupt nor unethical to enroll pts
with refractory met colorectal cancer with good functional status, who
have exhausted all standard treatments, in placebo-controlled trials.
//
2
2
1
34
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
I reiterate the points
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
Jun 17
Disgusting, unethical PLACEBO control trial in colon cancer just so
Fruquitinib can win I will show you that placebo should not have been
the control arm, & the IRBs & FDA failed 🧵 First, this trial tests a
new drug vs. placebo (sugar pill) in patients dying of colon cancer
Show this thread
1
4
23
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
18h
It is important to acknowledge the things RFK jr is absolutely right
about. Industry capture of government, censorship and many (not all)
Covid19 policy issues. To effectively counter the parts he is off
about, one should be honest about what he is right about. No
namecalling
Matthew Yglesias @mattyglesias
19h
135
143
11
1,534
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
19h
Honestly, Peter Hotez is not the person for the task. The man is a
steady stream of incorrect COVID-19 policy, and naked partisan
politics. The truth will be entirely undefended.
Joe Rogan @joerogan
19h
Peter, if you claim what RFKjr is saying is “misinformation” I am
offering you $100,000.00 to the charity of your choice if you’re
willing to debate him on my show with no time limit.
289
669
31
8,716
Vinay Prasad MD MPH @VPrasadMDMPH
21h
Genius. Sadly necessary.
Santhosh Ambika @RenoHemonc
21h
Replying to @VPrasadMDMPH
If you are parking your car in downtown SFO, follow this tip
14
16
1
105