Cryptocurrency: The Right To Privacy Far Outweighs All Other Considerations

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 03:02:04 PDT 2023

The privacy that coins like Monero give far outweighs all the illegal
uses of it, everyone has a right to privacy that shouldn't be taken
away

After seeing Binance disable privacy coins in multiple countries, I
think it's important to keep in mind that governments do have a good
reason for banning these coins, as a lot of illegal activity is made
easier and hidden this way.

But banning it takes away something more, namely the privacy that
everyone has a right to, and this is just a trade off that comes with
privacy and freedom of finances.

Nothing comes without its downsides, it's more about the evaluation of
pros and cons and seeing if the pros outweigh the cons. It simply has
more benefits than the harm it does.

In this case it's something that everyone should have the right to,
Privacy. I don't think this is even worth evaluation, as it's so easy
to see that the right of privacy far outweighs all the cons that comes
with it, with all the hidden and illegal activity. So I can't believe
that they don't even hesitate to take action against coins that give
privacy as if it's a threat.

I'm still curious to hear if anyone has any good arguments as well against it.

jump to content
my subreddits
edit subscriptions

    popular
    -all
    -random
    -users

    AskReddit
    -funny
    -worldnews
    -pics
    -todayilearned
    -mildlyinteresting
    -news
    -gaming
    -movies
    -explainlikeimfive
    -aww
    -tifu
    -videos
    -TwoXChromosomes
    -Jokes
    -Art
    -LifeProTips
    -OldSchoolCool
    -Music
    -nottheonion
    -Futurology
    -Showerthoughts
    -dataisbeautiful
    -books
    -IAmA
    -askscience
    -science
    -space
    -nosleep
    -food
    -photoshopbattles
    -DIY
    -gifs
    -gadgets
    -WritingPrompts
    -sports
    -creepy
    -history
    -GetMotivated
    -announcements
    -InternetIsBeautiful
    -Documentaries
    -EarthPorn
    -philosophy
    -UpliftingNews
    -listentothis
    -blog

more »
 CryptoCurrency

    comments

Want to join? Log in or sign up in seconds.

    English

limit my search to r/CryptoCurrency

use the following search parameters to narrow your results:

subreddit:subreddit
    find submissions in "subreddit"
author:username
    find submissions by "username"
site:example.com
    find submissions from "example.com"
url:text
    search for "text" in url
selftext:text
    search for "text" in self post contents
self:yes (or self:no)
    include (or exclude) self posts
nsfw:yes (or nsfw:no)
    include (or exclude) results marked as NSFW

e.g. subreddit:aww site:imgur.com dog

see the search faq for details.

this post was submitted on 31 May 2023
1,001 points (91% upvoted)
shortlink:
remember mereset password
Post link
Post text
CryptoCurrency
joinleave6,459,279 readers

8,387 users here now

    Mod Recruiting
    Rules
    Policies
    Scheduled Discussions
    Flair Filters

    Other Links

Be nice to each other! r/CryptoCurrency is a welcoming place for all
people and all cryptocurrencies.
Network

    r/CryptoCurrencyMemes
    r/CryptoCurrencyMoons
    r/CryptoCurrencyMeta
    r/CC Discord Server
    r/CC Telegram Group
    r/CointestOfficial
    r/CryptoCurrency_Tech
    r/CryptoMarkets
    r/CryptoDevs

Welcome

Welcome to /r/CryptoCurrency. This subreddit is intended for open
discussions on all subjects related to emerging crypto-currencies or
crypto-assets.

Please make quality contributions and follow the rules for posting. If
you meet our requirements and want custom flair, click here.
Rules

    Core Principles
    Spam
    Manipulation
    Giveaways or Illegal Activity
    Content Standards
    Personal Information
    Content Theft
    On Topic Discussion
    Suitable Titles and Flairs
    Communicate With The Mod Team

Resources and Tools

Moons Wiki

CoinCheckUp (Tracking and analysis)

CoinDesk (Crypto News)

Coingecko (Price graphs)

CoinMarketCap (Cryptocurrency market cap info)

Crypto.jobs (Jobs in crypto)

Hyperledger (Linux Foundation)

Microsoft Azure Blockchain

10k.pizza (Portfolio tracking. Warning: Background mining)
Education

Cointest Archive

IBM's ZeroToBlockchain (Free learning resources)

Khan Academy on Bitcoin (Free Course)

Mastering Bitcoin (Open Source book)

Mastering Ethereum (Open Source book)
Exchanges

Local Exchanges

Mining

Related Crypto Subreddits

/r/CryptoCurrencyMemes r/CryptoCurrency_Tech r/CryptoMarkets
r/CryptoRecruiting r/Best_of_Crypto r/BitcoinMarkets r/BitcoinMining
r/CryptoTrade r/Ethfinance r/EthTrader r/Jobs4Crypto r/Liberland r/NFT
r/OpenBazaar r/GPUmining

    Top 10 market cap currencies

    Bitcoin (BTC) - $497.81B - $25662.69
    Ethereum (ETH) - $209.07B - $1738.98
    Tether (USDT) - $83.40B - $1.00
    BNB (BNB) - $37.17B - $238.48
    USD Coin (USDC) - $28.33B - $1.00
    XRP (XRP) - $25.51B - $0.49
    Cardano (ADA) - $8.41B - $0.24
    Dogecoin (DOGE) - $8.38B - $0.06
    TRON (TRX) - $6.11B - $0.07
    Solana (SOL) - $5.85B - $14.69

a community for 10 years
MODERATORS

    message the mods

discussions in r/CryptoCurrency
<>
247 · 446 comments
Bitcoin dominance is breaking out and at its highest point in 2 years,
as alts are breaking down - what is going on?!
146 · 228 comments
Mayhem for MATIC, ADA and SOL as prices of all 3 coins crash over 20%
in just a day
146 · 138 comments
All Algorand Holders are now at a loss as the coin hits a new All Time
Low of ~$.0958 dropping below it's March 2020 flash crash levels.
108 · 253 comments
People who do Technical Analysis, why didn't you warn us?
566 · 302 comments
News handles are back on calling Crypto dead and recommending people
to quit it, the best bottom-signal you can get.
60 · 110 comments
$322.12M of crypto assets were liquidated in the previous 24 hours! In
which $31.67M were shorts and $290.44M were longs.
43 · 20 comments
Taiko x Loopring [L2 x L3] explained (and the future of Ethereum)
72 · 55 comments
Stalking a Scammer: A Game of Shitrugs
31 · 85 comments
Three reasons were dumping. Pick one.
41 · 153 comments
Over under on alt survival?
Welcome to Reddit,

the front page of the internet.
Become a Redditor

and join one of thousands of communities.
×

PERSPECTIVEThe privacy that coins like Monero give far outweighs all
the illegal uses of it, everyone has a right to privacy that shouldn't
be taken away (self.CryptoCurrency)

submitted 9 days ago * by Elie0_0

[...]

[–]CointestMod[M] [score hidden] 9 days ago stickied commentlocked
comment (3 children)

Monero pros & cons with related info are in the collapsed comments below.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award

load more comments (3 replies)

[–]Florian995Tin 169 points170 points171 points 9 days ago (29 children)

The USD is the most used asset for illegal activity. Nobody cares.
Monero os just put into a bad light because governments don’t like
privacy

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Killertimme 14 points15 points16 points 9 days ago (9 children)

Although USD is pretty private, it is also private for them to hide
their shady business.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Lillica_Golden_SHIBBronze | BANANO 5 | TraderSubs 13 25 points26
points27 points 9 days ago (8 children)

Privacy for them, not for us

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Every_Hunt_160Platinum | QC: CC 672 | r/SSB 10 20 points21 points22
points 9 days ago (7 children)

This statement will literally come true when they create CBDCs

Nobody can see what goes on in these CBDCs transactions, but only the
government can see everything

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hansjerry 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (2 children)

Exactly, even with the US dollar, the govt can't track paper
transactions but that's not the case with a CBDC where every move will
be documented

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+][deleted] 8 days ago* (1 child)

[deleted]

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 1 point2
points3 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Yup.. people buying everything they get with a credit card whining
about privacy is kind of funny. Don't get me wrong, governments
infringing on our privacy is bad and should be fought at every turn,
but thinking this enormous mega corp is any better is laughable,
especially when those mega corps happily work with the government to
give them whatever they need.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jim--CramerPermabanned 7 points8 points9 points 9 days ago (3 children)

And also score a chunk of supply for themselves

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (2 children)

I don't think you understand how money works. The government doesn't
have much use for money, because they issue it. They regulate the
supply of money and inject it into certain spots in the economy, but
they don't need to keep supply. If they did, it would be exactly the
same as never issuing the money in the first place.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]wright007Tin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (1 child)

I don't think you understand how REAL money works. Hard currency like
Bitcoin and Gold are not controlled by governments and as such are not
issued at the whim of the banks. The inflation rates of real money are
predicable, which is why they are scarce, which is why they are "hard"
money.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Inflation is never predictable, regardless of how it's denominated. A
lot more goes into inflation than money supply, which is why the money
supply in the US has been dropping for over a year but inflation keeps
happening. Also, neither gold nor BTC operate as a currency in 2023.

Aside from that, the comment I was replying to was claiming that the
government would hoard a CBDC which makes no sense at all. Are you
really arguing against that? Your comment is completely unrelated to
what I said.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]To_The_M000NTin 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Exactly this!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 17 points18 points19 points 9
days ago (5 children)

    Nobody cares.

That's not correct. Plenty of people care.

But it's impossible to control.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]weoutside3 4 points5 points6 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Abolishing cash would be a start, which I think they want to do

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thinkfireTin | GMEJungle 44 | Superstonk 83 0 points1 point2 points
9 days ago (2 children)

Nah.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]WorriedComparison189Permabanned 5 points6 points7 points 8 days ago
(0 children)

Happy cake day 🥳

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]helobro11Permabanned 1 point2 points3 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Happy cake day

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jim--CramerPermabanned 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

And track publicly

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jay_Popsicle_ 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Isn't it obvious? That's how they play.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]1984isreddit 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Banks like HSBC continue to pay regular fines for repeated money
laundering for cartels and CIA, cash is king. Banks dont launder
monero, do they?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ArcosimSilver | QC: CC 51 | VET 22 | Technology 39 1 point2 points3
points 9 days ago (0 children)

Reminds me of Pablo Escobar's green literal mountain of money.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ok-Supermarket-6747Tin 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Exactly. USD already does this function on paper

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ricozuriPlatinum | QC: CC 25 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Perhaps you mean IN paper, rather than ON paper.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]crossthrowsPlatinum | QC: CC 105 | r/WSB 14 0 points1 point2 points
8 days ago (0 children)

the illusion

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Sure, but literally billions of people use USD, and the vast majority
of them have never heard of Monero. TIn fact, the number of people who
use USD minus the number of people who even know what Monero is is
roughly equal to the number of people who use USD. In the world of
global finance, crypto is basically a rounding error, and Monero is a
rounding error within crypto. The difference is that a much higher
percentage of Monero transactions are for illegal purposes.. that's
not to say we should ban it, and honestly, it's one of the few cryptos
that actually has a use case imo, but your argument here is kind of
irrelevant. If anything, you're highlighting how useful the USD is
from a privacy perspective.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OneThatNoseOnePlatinum | QC: CC 40 0 points1 point2 points 8 days
ago (0 children)

It's so stupid. It's like saying ban food because criminals eat as
well. We should ban air while we're at it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]beaubeautasticBronze | Onions 12 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago
(0 children)

im bullish on monero just cause of the bans. finna get rich

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]moeljillsBronze | CRO 10 | Unpop.Opin. 12 0 points1 point2 points 7
days ago (0 children)

Also. One of the great things about crypto is transparency. But in a
few years that will be a double edged sword. You will be able to type
in anyone's names and publicly see the transactions they have made and
the contents of their wallets.

This is why we need privacy coins

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 86 points87 points88 points 9 days ago (59 children)

Monero is definitely going to be an important coin in the future as
governments launch CBDCs slowly get rid of cash and begin monitoring
every transaction we make. Criminals aren't the only people who want
privacy.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Wise-Grapefruit-1443 24 points25 points26 points 9 days ago (35 children)

All crypto, but especially privacy coins, will take off if CBDCs gain
any traction

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DreadaussieBronze | QC: CC 19 24 points25 points26 points 9 days
ago (31 children)

I doubt it, to many people can’t be bothered with privacy coins. 80%
of the population will just take what the government gives them.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+][deleted] 9 days ago (3 children)

[deleted]

[–]zmoonerBronze | 5 months old 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

So we will be the new 1%? #OccupyWallStreet upside down.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DreadaussieBronze | QC: CC 19 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

You gotta give him a chance to argue his point.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Every_Hunt_160Platinum | QC: CC 672 | r/SSB 10 1 point2 points3
points 9 days ago (0 children)

And unfortunately the 1% arguing for privacy coins in the population
will mainly just be the maxis of crypto bros..

which makes the number closer to 0.01% I feel

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]-TrustyDwarf-Silver | QC: XMR 368, CC 168, ALGO 34 | NANO 42 |
r/Prog. 33 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (1 child)

So 20% of the population will use Monero? We'll go to the moon!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DreadaussieBronze | QC: CC 19 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago
(0 children)

You’ll never know how many people are using it hahaha.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (24 children)

No I agree with him. People might feel the need to turn to privacy
coins because they have no choice in the future if it gets bad enough.
You would be surprised what people will do when they are motivated
enough

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DreadaussieBronze | QC: CC 19 14 points15 points16 points 9 days
ago (23 children)

People don’t want crypto because it’s not user friendly, so if you go
tell those same people to go to some hard to use slightly sketchy
looking defi platform to get XMR they just won’t.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ShortFrothPlatinum | QC: XMR 125 3 points4 points5 points 9 days
ago* (0 children)

There is a subreddit on reddit that cant be named here. It starts with
r/ Dark and ends with net.

It serves a snapshot of how normies go and learn to use things if they
have to in order to get what they really want regardless of the
consequences and hurdles.

​

TBH its pretty painful to watch them struggle to learn how it all works.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+][deleted] 9 days ago (21 children)

[deleted]

[–]StruggleBus619Tin | 3 months old 12 points13 points14 points 9 days
ago (2 children)

I think you're vastly under estimating the how big the section of
society that won't care about privacy and use the CBDCs anyway. The
whole reason society as a whole has careened towards where it is now
with overall privacy invasion is specifically because the majority of
people feel "well i have nothing to hide, so 🤷".

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 -1 points0 points1 point 9 days ago (1 child)

I feel like I'm underestimating it somewhat but again this is a
scenario where the use of CBDCs become so tyrannical that people feel
they have no choice but to look for any other option to escape the
tyranny brought by CBDCs. Which is going to happen eventually. There
is a reason the government is attacking decentralized crypto so much
and trying to push for CBDCs

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DreadaussieBronze | QC: CC 19 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago
(17 children)

People hate banks but still use them even though crypto exists.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lubimboPlatinum | QC: CC 28 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago (0 children)

They just prefer the "safety" of not beeing responsible for their funds.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+][deleted] 9 days ago (12 children)

[deleted]

[–]DreadaussieBronze | QC: CC 19 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago
(7 children)

So like normal banks can become?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (6 children)

Yes but we haven't got to that point of tyranny in the US. CBDCs are
meant to implement this to control and manipulate our actions with the
threat to take away ur way to survive

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]rcp_5 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (3 children)

    shutting down ur access to ur funds if u protest against the wrong thing etc

I scroll this sub a lot trying to figure out what the privacy issue is
with fiat currency to begin with, and now I think I figured it out.
Were you recently protesting and put on a list or something?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago (2 children)

No dude 🤣I mean I'm probably on a list but that's not the point. We
have the right to protest anything we want. And the government
threatening people's finances for protesting is the definition of an
authoritarian government. Or do you want to live in a country like
China is that ur goal?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]obsydianFalconTin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Well what else would they use? Crypto platforms have terrible
reputations after all of last year and at the very least Banks are
"regulated" (more than crypto) and insured.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DreadaussieBronze | QC: CC 19 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago
(0 children)

That’s what I’m saying, people are just going to use banks or CBDCs
whatever the government tells them to use.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tiktaktok_65Bronze | QC: CC 21 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago
(0 children)

you are delusional. just look at internet and smartphone penetration.
a smartphone is the worst possible device for your personal privacy as
it turns you into a beacon that navigates through a sea of data that
sits on the real world leaving measurable ripples in your wake
allwoing anyone to map you on both. how many people prefer the
convenience that interaction between digital and real world brings
over the added privacy in staying off the grid? the battle for privacy
is already lost and future generations will just make staying offline
more difficult.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 0 points1 point2 points 9 days
ago (0 children)

    All crypto, but especially privacy coins, will take off if CBDCs
gain any traction

Why privacy coins especially?

I can understand the argument regarding it increasing general crypto
uptake, but CBDCs don't make BTC/ETH any worse.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mangopie220Platinum | QC: CC 243 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago
(0 children)

Nah. If governemnt ban privacy coins, traders and retailers won't use
crypto as they still need cash to pay for operations, and stuffs.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]drunk_phishTin | Superstonk 20 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago
(0 children)

Sad enough, people in power still believe too well in the mantra of
"one bad apple ruins the entire bunch" when it comes to potentially
losing their power.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]partymslPlatinum | QC: CC 702 | r/WSB 16 10 points11 points12
points 9 days ago (7 children)

I always hope for a future where people finally realise how important
our privacy is…

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago (1 child)

They'll realize it only after it's far to late.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SkuniMasterMind 5 points6 points7 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Its right of passage, you dont know how important something is till
you desperately need it - and its not there

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BakschPlatinum | QC: CC 31 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago (0 children)

It'll probably take a few million dead from Gulag 2.0 for people to
truly grasp the evil this total control will allow.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (2 children)

It feels like with social media it's going to be almost impossible to
be anonymous these days. Everyone will know who u are and what u are
doing at all times. Which is why I like using Reddit tbh. Keeps a lot
of the personal insults and drama out of social media

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pb__ 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (1 child)

As a regular user of IRC and forums, I was utterly shocked when people
started posting stuff under their real name (facebook etc.). Sure, you
always left a trace of IP and your nickname could often be connected
to the real word you with some effort, but to leave your full name in
the open just like that, for anyone to see and find? It was surreal to
me. And now it's the new normal...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Yup and now we have people basically live streaming there entire lives
🤣it's a slippery slope for sure I've basically gave up on any kind of
privacy anymore

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Surveillance capitalism will ensure that never happens.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Amir__oscarTin | 1 month old 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

In my opinion, considering the legal framework can solve some problems.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 3 points4 points5 points 9
days ago (5 children)

    Monero is definitely going to be an important coin in the future
as governments launch CBDCs

How does a launch of CBDCs increase adoption of Monero, as opposed to
bitcoin/eth or any other existing crypto which is not controlled by
the government?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago* (4 children)

CBDCs aren't cash dude......if we move to a completely cashless
society where every transaction is monitored privacy coins will be all
the rage

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 -3 points-2 points-1 points 9
days ago (3 children)

I'm not suggesting to leave in CBDCs. I understand the downsides.

I'm asking why you believe it needs to be privacy coins and not other
existing crypto such as btc/eth.

Unless you believe that btc/eth based crypto isn't viable for mass adoption?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (2 children)

No I do. But there might be other things going on in the future with
technology that makes the need for privacy almost a necessity.....at
least somewhat. With AI and other things who knows what could happen.
I'm sure Bitcoin and Ethereum will be just fine for mass adoption I
just feel like privacy coins will almost be a necessity at some point
with the advancements in technology.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 2 points3 points4 points 9
days ago (1 child)

    But there might be other things going on in the future with
technology that makes the need for privacy almost a necessity.....at
least somewhat. With AI and other things who knows what could happen.

Your original argument was that it would be CBDCs that would drive the
adoption of privacy coins.

This is a different argument.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

CBDCs alongside other things like no privacy in the future because
technology and AI has become too powerful......that's my whole point.
If technology has increased to a point where people have no privacy on
any of their transactions or where they are going with facial
recognition flying robots AI online with databases showing who u are
etc. The need for privacy coins will be very great

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Lokiee0077 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Bullish on Privacy Coins

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Nagemasu 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (4 children)

Slippery slope fallacy.

Your bank transactions are already monitored, and there's no evidence
physical cash will ever be abolished. In fact, it can't be because
it's the only way to exchange money without power.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (3 children)

It won't be "abolished" but businesses ALREADY aren't accepting cash.
You go to a basketball game? They don't accept cash anymore. There
plan is to slowly get all companies to a point where they no longer
accept cash

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Nagemasu 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (2 children)

    There plan

Whose plan? The Illuminati? You understand how that sounds right?
You're simply making assumptions based on fear.

Slippery slope --> conspiracy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Plebian1994 -1 points0 points1 point 8 days ago (1 child)

The WEF literally tells you their exact plans and this is part of them
😭if ur too stupid to look into it then that's ur fault. You will own
nothing and be happy is not a conspiracy

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Nagemasu 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

    The WEF

lol calling others stupid and talking about a private organisation as
if they have any power as evidence of a future where no cash exists.

You are already in the conspiracy hole, that's why the slippery slope
fallacy appears real to you.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Karyo_TenSilver | QC: ETH 20 | Buttcoin 34 -3 points-2 points-1
points 9 days ago (0 children)

Elon Musk approves. He wanted privacy for his private jets so he
bought Twitter to silence the alerters on billionaires polluting.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NoraxxzocktPermabanned 101 points102 points103 points 9 days ago
(35 children)

The more governments gonna lean towards CBDCs, the more i am gonna
support and use monero.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]partymslPlatinum | QC: CC 702 | r/WSB 16 39 points40 points41
points 9 days ago (17 children)

And the more they try to ban Monero, the more we actually know it is working

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ShortFrothPlatinum | QC: XMR 125 14 points15 points16 points 9 days
ago (6 children)

plus the more they ban it, the more private it becomes. Its biggest
privacy weakness is the mass aggregate of data supplied by exchanges.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AEthersense 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Even with KYC from exchanges monero to monero transfers are private.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ShortFrothPlatinum | QC: XMR 125 3 points4 points5 points 9 days
ago (0 children)

There are some possible attacks.

Spend an input received from an exchange and they know there is some
some really low % chance that it was you.

Spend 10 inputs in one transaction that were received from an exchange
and they know for for a really high % chance it was you.

Spend those 10 inputs into captured colluding entity and they got you
as very likely as the true spender.

​

The exchanges know the true spends of the transactions it sent to your
address in the withdrawal. If they feed this data to ChainAnal, that
makes for a fat list of unconvincing decoys.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Lillica_Golden_SHIBBronze | BANANO 5 | TraderSubs 13 13 points14
points15 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Monero is incredibly underrated.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Every_Hunt_160Platinum | QC: CC 672 | r/SSB 10 3 points4 points5
points 9 days ago (1 child)

So ban is ironically.. bullish for Monero? Lol

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SkuniMasterMind 2 points3 points4 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Is it ironic really? Seems like its by design working as intended :D

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]illhaveubent 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

It also removes many of the investors while leaving most of the people
actually using it as a currency. I think this might contribute to the
stability of it's value.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]deathbyfish13Free Range Moon Farmer 10 points11 points12 points 9
days ago (2 children)

The more they try to ban it, the more boating accidents there will be

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Kodeshii 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Boating accident insurance salesman employment will go up!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Defiant-Appeal3934 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago (0 children)

And boat sales will go, down? I'm no sailor.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 -1 points0 points1 point 9
days ago (6 children)

But is this really the path we want to see crypto go down?

"Crypto" and "governments" need to determine a way to work together in
harmony if we ever want to see crypto truly adopted.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BakschPlatinum | QC: CC 31 13 points14 points15 points 9 days ago
(3 children)

Nope, government is owned by big banks and other big money. You can't
expect the feudal overlords to give up control without a fight.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 1 point2 points3 points 9 days
ago (2 children)

Of course they won't give up without a fight.

And crypto will never be able to be used as a viable alternative for
the masses if there is not some kind of agreement eventually reached.

Crypto will remain as a partially adopted fringe solution that won't
reach it's full potential.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]amusingjapester23 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Pot became a drug of the masses in the US, before government did
anything to endorse it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]wright007Tin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

What reasons do you have to support this claim? I'm not sure it's
true. I suspect that mass adoption could occur in multiple different
ways, not just government endorsements.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ayleidanthropologistTin | Politics 17 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago* (0 children)

That sounds not at all like what governments want.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]trimalcusTin 13 points14 points15 points 9 days ago (3 children)

Supporting by mining with your CPU if you can

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Daddio_87 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago (2 children)

This is the next step for me. I just haven't taken it yet.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]trimalcusTin 9 points10 points11 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Easiest way is to use XMRig and pick a small pool to help
decentralization. Like Aterx.com, minernode. Etc.. but you will have
some small fees.

Best way is to use P2Pool. No fees at all. Fully decentralized

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Lillica_Golden_SHIBBronze | BANANO 5 | TraderSubs 13 2 points3
points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Started like this following a friend's recommendation and never
stopped. P2Pool is just great.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Elie0_0[S] 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (8 children)

The pros CBDCs have are literally nothing compared to the fact that
they can control your transaction.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NoraxxzocktPermabanned 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago (4 children)

exactly, money with an expiry date and transactions being reversed on
command is ridiculous to say the least.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Every_Hunt_160Platinum | QC: CC 672 | r/SSB 10 3 points4 points5
points 9 days ago (1 child)

CBDCs only have pros for the government and cons for everyone else

Monero mainly have pros for everyone else, and cons for the government

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

As long as Monero remains niche and relatively unused, agreed.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Lillica_Golden_SHIBBronze | BANANO 5 | TraderSubs 13 0 points1
point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

That is not money, it is simply a damn scam

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

No government will ever implement expiration dates. Whoever told you
that is an idiot and a liar who's just trying to get you mad. That's
not to say we shouldn't opposed CBDC's, but there's literally nothing
in it for them.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]3utt5lut 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (2 children)

They don't like what you're doing? - funds frozen -

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]illhaveubent 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (1 child)

They did it in Canada

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]3utt5lut 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

They tried to do it in Canada, and failed when the non-custodial
wallet branch replied that they have no control over the wallets!

That's why there's that big push for CBDCs now!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]strongkhalSilver | QC: CC 84 | CRO 64 | ExchSubs 64 0 points1
point2 points 9 days ago (1 child)

How do you intend to do that and what do you use it for? If a
government bans it then how do I buy it or cash out? Asking for a
friend...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kuri-kuma 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

DeFi

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]3utt5lut 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Try to get into no-KYC as much as possible, so many people think that
just because you like privacy, that you're doing illegal activities. I
don't remember there being a law that you aren't allowed to access
international trade markets? Those markets don't pertain to the same
laws as your country does, that's why your country wants you to use
"their" services, so they can control you and force you to pay them
money for that service.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ra246Gentleman. 18 points19 points20 points 9 days ago (1 child)

I probably should have been doing so, but I'm going to start stacking
$XMR for this exact reason. None of us want the government's to see
every penny we spend.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SkuniMasterMind 3 points4 points5 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Or even worse, every peeny we own

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Napoleon_2461 - 2 years account age. -15 - 35 comment karma. 5
points6 points7 points 9 days ago (1 child)

I think that we have to accept that governments will always be hostile
to coins like Monero and it'll only be possible to utilize them with
adequate technical knowledge

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ripple_mcgeePlatinum | QC: CC 44 | CRO 19 | ExchSubs 19 0 points1
point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

SOME governments will be hostile to privacy coins, but others will
not...and as long as the internet exists, crypto will have an avenue
to trade within borders of open governments...I'm thinking like the
UAE for example.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NotAnAlcoholicTodayPlatinum | QC: CC 93, XTZ 32 16 points17
points18 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Yeah. I think I'm gonna stop buying any other coins and become a
Monero maxi at this point.

Privacy is extremely important, and will only become more important as
we move along with newer tech.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Dull-Wear-3286 39 points40 points41 points 9 days ago (4 children)

Monero is a people's coin.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Killertimme 13 points14 points15 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Privacy is a human right.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]pb__ 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Imagine banning curtains and blinds because some people use them to hide crimes.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Odd-Radio-8500Tin | 2 months old 7 points8 points9 points 9 days
ago* (0 children)

I consider Monero "yOur coins yOur rights"

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HackerpcsTin | Technology 41 1 point2 points3 points 8 days ago (0 children)

It's what Bitcoin was supposed to be originally without all the
investment bullshit that happened after.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Technical-Western897 18 points19 points20 points 9 days ago (2 children)

I would never use cryptocurrency with IRL people because they can
literally view my entire balance & transactions. Privacy is required
for adaption.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zap1324Tin 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

You shouldn’t have a wallet with your entire balance interacting with
anything even if it was private.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Objective_Digit -1 points0 points1 point 8 days ago (0 children)

You think credit card txs can't be traced?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bbtto22Platinum | QC: CC 552 34 points35 points36 points 9 days ago
(5 children)

Coins like monero have to exist it’s a freedom they can never take away from us

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 10 points11 points12 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I really need to convert all my alts to xmr. I keep putting it off and
it will eventually bite me in the ass

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]good2youallBanned 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Sadly its a freedom that they’ll always attempt to take

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bbtto22Platinum | QC: CC 552 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (0 children)

It’s a battle they are not going to win

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Impossible_Soup_1932Platinum | QC: CC 286 | ADA 8 3 points4 points5
points 9 days ago (1 child)

We can always buy gold and hide it under the bed

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bbtto22Platinum | QC: CC 552 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago (0 children)

The more options and more freedoms the better

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AnimeFlamingo 25 points26 points27 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Monero is truly a blessing.

And it has not been compromised, even with bounty’s on it

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrocoliAssassinSilver | QC: BTC 218, CC 105 | CelsiusNet. 25 10
points11 points12 points 9 days ago (3 children)

Once CBDC's hit we are going to see bigger attacks on privacy. I'm
sure we will have a ton of people with the stupid saying of not
needing privacy cause they have nothing to hide.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]partymslPlatinum | QC: CC 702 | r/WSB 16 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago (1 child)

Some would even be ready to outright sell their privacy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 2 points3 points4 points 9
days ago (0 children)

    Some would even be ready to outright sell their privacy.

Most people already do.

How many people have some form of a store rewards/loyalty card?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]urbanhoodTin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Social media proves that point.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Euphoric-Mode215Permabanned 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

you gotta pay one way or the other

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nick83487Platinum | QC: CC 829 22 points23 points24 points 9 days
ago (9 children)

The many shouldn't be punished for the crimes of the few

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Status_Floor1746Platinum | QC: CC 44[🍰] 13 points14 points15
points 9 days ago (3 children)

Governments really specialize in the shotgun approach to regulations
if we are being honest

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SQUIRMANDESAUR 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (1 child)

They're also good at blaming the tool instead of the people using it.
Like with their gun law and all that

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]conceiv3d-in-lib3rty 7 points8 points9 points 9 days ago (0 children)

It’s just like the fight to ban encryption. These tools will always be
used for nefarious reasons, but people’s fundamental rights to privacy
will always trump them. It’s not like these agencies can’t find other
ways to get to the bad guys, they do it all the time. Outright banning
it is just to make their lives easier and it’s at the expense of
peoples privacy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Elie0_0[S] 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Pretty much what's happening, interesting to see that many countries
taking action against them

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rootplMoonwalker 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

If that's their approach we should ban cash too, after all, it's used
by criminals. Politicians are a damn joke.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MasterLogic -3 points-2 points-1 points 9 days ago (0 children)

The few crimes are in the billions and they get the money stealing it
from average people.

Imagine if sbf had everything in Monroe, that's the type of person
that's committing crimes using it, and getting away with it.

Any coin that isn't bit/eth is only popular because you can do illegal
things using it. (popular as in rug pulls/scams/money
laundering/promising the moon) not popular because it's useful in real
life.

If you want to be protected and insured and potentially get your funds
recovered 99.9% of these coins need to be deleted. Because the more
shit there is the easier it is to hide where the money is.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]poptippp 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Cash is more dangerous than Monero.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]urbanhikersPermabanned 5 points6 points7 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Monero is getting more visibility due to government suppressions.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]deftaj 11 points12 points13 points 9 days ago (4 children)

Binance will let Pepe onto their exchange but not Monero. Ridiculous

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Elie0_0[S] 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago (1 child)

They complied because otherwise they would have to shut down business
in countries such as France, Spain, Poland and a few others that
banned it.

It makes sense for them to not want to lose such revenue, they'd go
out of business soon if they tried to keep them on their exchanges
against every country.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Impossible_Soup_1932Platinum | QC: CC 286 | ADA 8 0 points1 point2
points 9 days ago (0 children)

Indeed. Companies like Binances and not in crypto for their ideology.
They exist to make money. Nobody doubts that. So we can't blame them
for not turning this into a battle against governments

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 3 points4 points5 points 9
days ago (0 children)

    Binance will let Pepe onto their exchange but not Monero. Ridiculous

Pepe doesn't pose a governmental threat to their business model.

There is nothing more to it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

A capitalist company doing the thing that makes them the most money?
Did you expect something different?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mab_894Raise your Standards 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Monero checks all the boxes. Obvious use case, decentralized, fair
distribution, always improving its protocol. What more can you ask
for?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HadMatter217Platinum | QC: CC 49 | PoliticalHumor 168 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Environmentally friendly

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]conceiv3d-in-lib3rty 9 points10 points11 points 9 days ago (17 children)

My guess is most, if not all governments will attempt to shut down the
on/off ramps for monero. Pretty soon the only way we’ll be able to get
it is thru defi swaps.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]imperator285World's Worst Boat Captain 8 points9 points10 points 9
days ago (9 children)

Nah fam. Local Monero and bisq already exist. Serai and Haveno are on
the way. Atomic Swaps with BTC and ETH exist too. Plus Monero ATMs.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (8 children)

Ohh, where are the ATMs? That's one situation I'd at least consider
paying the higher fee

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]imperator285World's Worst Boat Captain 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago (7 children)

https://coinatmradar.com/

My understanding is that there are very few ATMs that exclusively
offer Monero. But there are many "crypto" ATMs that offer Monero.
Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (6 children)

I hope so, I have plenty of crypto ATMs by me but over even looked
because I know fees are crazy high. One thing I'm willing to pay for
is true privacy

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]imperator285World's Worst Boat Captain 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago (5 children)

Yea honestly localmonero cash by mail is better option

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (4 children)

How does that even work? Is there escrow or something?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]imperator285World's Worst Boat Captain 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago (3 children)

Yes on escrow. And sellers who have done hundreds/thousands of trades
over several years with a 98/99% positive rating are not going to
throw away those stats to steal a few hundred bucks from you.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (2 children)

We really need to get on/off ramps on TOR. Using the mail service
works but kind of a pain for weekly purchases

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]imperator285World's Worst Boat Captain 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago (1 child)

Yea keep an eye out for the release of either Haveno or Serai. I've
heard good things but no betas yet.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

continue this thread

[–]DuncanDicksonPlatinum | QC: CC 23, XMR 20 3 points4 points5 points
9 days ago (0 children)

Like some sort of peer to peer digital cash?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 3 points4 points5 points 9
days ago (1 child)

    most, if not all governments will attempt to shut down the on/off
ramps for monero

And how would they go about doing that?

Your on-ramp/off-ramp can be to any other crypto such as bitcoin.

Once you're in the crypto ecosystem it's just a matter of swaps.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]missmuffin__Redditor for 5 months. 1 point2 points3 points 9 days
ago (0 children)

Is there a bridge from monero to eth? Not just an erc20 wrapper, but
actually get to and from the monero chain?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Elie0_0[S] 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago* (1 child)

Yeah, it seems as if privacy also will come with it's diffuculties as
it won't be as easy to get or use anymore.

But at the same time, buying privacy coins on CEXs aren't that
private, if they require KYC that is, so in a way true privacy always
did require more.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]missmuffin__Redditor for 5 months. 1 point2 points3 points 9 days
ago (0 children)

What if you have two monero accounts? One to interact with CEXs, one
to actually use.

It's more work, but seems to solve the issue.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]partymslPlatinum | QC: CC 702 | r/WSB 16 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago (0 children)

That is the true Crypto way and people will be forced to use it now,
which is good.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

It's a hurdle crypto will need to eventually overcome anyway. Might as
well rip the band-aid off and move crypto to deep web or TOR now

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Hugh_Jarmes187Bronze 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Spot on. Generally, if you entrust power to the government and allow
the government to break the law to catch law breakers, they will
eventually use that power against law abiding citizens.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Status_Floor1746Platinum | QC: CC 44[🍰] 1 point2 points3 points 9
days ago (0 children)

This is the flaw that no centralized exchange will be able to address.
This just seems to be the cost of playing in these countries. DeFi
addresses this so at least there still is a way.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]LePanzerIn Satoshi we trust 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Since I have been rewatching Star Trek lately, my argument is that
humanity is not ready yet to enjoy utopia!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Illicitterror 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

All these governments cracking down on privacy, but it’s everyone’s right.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]_redboy_Tin 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

We all know in private that we have bad qualities too...Privacy is
really important and everyone should respect it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fercian 1 point2 points3 points 8 days ago (0 children)

i thnik USD is best alternative for your illegal activity.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (8 children)

I think there is a very real chance BTC collapses and is slowly
replaced by XMR. There's probably too much VC money in BTC for this to
happen but if governments all agree to ban it why wouldn't everyone
switch? I guess KYC could go away for BTC and slowly be replaced with
kyc less defi but xmr would make it so much easier

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ThatInternetGuyPlatinum | QC: CC 90, BNB 61 | TRX 8 | r/Prog. 165 1
point2 points3 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Not really. Monero is not listed in many regulated exchanges. Even
Binance that lists XMR will get you flagged for extra KYC after
depositing a large sum of XMR into their exchange.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 -1 points0 points1 point 8 days ago (0 children)

You're missing the point, I'm talking about a situation where all
regulated exchanges are made illegal. Basically crypto being pushed to
dark web/tor/defi

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]EtrenscePlatinum | QC: CC 29 | r/WSB 20 0 points1 point2 points 9
days ago (4 children)

You think the government will ban BTC before it bans XMR?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 -1 points0 points1 point 8 days ago (3 children)

Most can't really ban it anymore then it already is, this gives it a
huge edge of BTC must take the same route. Try buying XMR in the US on
a CEX. I'll wait.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]EtrenscePlatinum | QC: CC 29 | r/WSB 20 0 points1 point2 points 8
days ago (0 children)

Yeh your right, you cant buy on CEX. So that raises the question why
would people move to XMR if it is already banned. I dont follow that
logic. Even if BTC is banned, wouldn't people move to a non banned
crypto instead of an already banned one?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MrMoustacheMan 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (1 child)

    Try buying XMR in the US on a CEX

https://www.kraken.com/learn/buy-monero-xmr

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]PeacefullyFightingPlatinum | QC: CC 329, ETH 23 | VET 10 |
TraderSubs 24 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Oh shit, they still do. Thanks

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Objective_Digit 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Not a chance. Bitcoin's network effect is gigantic. And private txs
can be done using Lightning or other ways. Plus people want something
that can keep value.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]trimalcusTin 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Just use localmonero, bisq and other DEX. You can still swap on
changenow for instance.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ScoobaMonsta 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Binance is getting a lot of pressure because they practice fractional
reserve banking! They have been selling paper Monero! This means that
they have been selling Monero that they don’t actually have! That’s
why withdrawals were constantly blocked or heavily limited.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AlbrechtSchoenheiserBronze | ADA 7 3 points4 points5 points 9 days
ago (2 children)

If I lived in a community that has been crippled by gun violence
related to narcos, I would disagree with you. If I was a drug dealer
with a lot of money that I need to wash, I would agree with you. It's
all about perspective, people. 🤷🏿‍♂️

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dericecourcyBronze | NANO 6 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (1 child)

Hey quick question, how much is your net worth?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AlbrechtSchoenheiserBronze | ADA 7 0 points1 point2 points 8 days
ago (0 children)

I don't have an exact number, but I do own a defense contracting firm
and a diamond mine in Africa, but it's a small mine run by children.
I'm not a billionaire or anything, but I have a nice Geländewagen.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jorneypTin | SHIB 11 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I agree people should have the right to privacy and that is 1 of many
reasons people pick crypto over fiat but government will do anything
in their power to prevent that

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]podfather2000Tin | Unpop.Opin. 20 1 point2 points3 points 9 days
ago (0 children)

I don't think most people care about privacy.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MoonTLDRPermabanned 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Monero has already taken a lot of heat from governments. Not sure how
it will gonna survive their onslaught.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NotACryptoBro 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Sir, this is an echo chamber and you know very well that people here
won't argue against it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jswbTin | WSB 9 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (3 children)

Why are there so many Monero posts recently? Did some update happen or
something?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rockstarknight445Tin 3 points4 points5 points 9 days ago (2 children)

CBDCs are an upcoming thing governments around the world are trying to
implement. Monero is the best to use as digital cash to preserve your
freedom.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jswbTin | WSB 9 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (1 child)

I agree. How do you store your monero (cold wallet?)

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rockstarknight445Tin 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I use the monero cli wallet on my PC and I use cake wallet on my phone

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]seniorbatista19Tin 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Bullish on privacy

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]UpLeftUpBronze | QC: CC 17 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

The illegal use of Monero is being massively overstated.

If someone hacks an exchange, steals people's money and then converts
it to Monero, why the hell do we say "Monero is facilitating crime".
Its bullshit, because Monero had nothing to do with the actual crime
of the hacking and theft. Does anyone really believe that if Monero
didn't exist, they wouldn't hack the exchange and steal?

So why doesn't the government instead focus on stopping these actual crimes.

Everyone brags about how the government caught Al Capone for tax
fraud. They couldn't catch him for being a criminal, so they caught
him for tax fraud and threw the book at him for that. Like its
supposed to be a good thing.

I mean its great that they took him off the street, but since when
does "The end justify the means" in terms of the government going
after people? How much further do we have to slide down this slope to
get to the point where its ok for the police to plant evidence because
that gets a warrant which finds real evidence?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mik_djPermabanned 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Privacy should be a priority...!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Huge_Agent_1448 1 point2 points3 points 8 days ago (0 children)

They can ban it but it won't stop me from swapping litecoin for
monero. The only thing that can stop me are boating accidents

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]OMFGROFLMAO2Platinum | QC: CC 30 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago
(6 children)

Hot take here but people like their freedom until it turns against them.

The moment your son gets kidnapped and you're asked to deposit $100k
on a Monero wallet, just to find out he's dead and there's no way of
tracing your money, you'll probably stop using Monero.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about crypto, decentralization, and
monetary freedom (not to be confused with anonymity). But knowing my
transaction is probably being sent in a block with some cartel money
is not something I approve of.

But hey, that's the beauty of having a choice, I don't bash Monero as
a project, I just choose not to use it.

Negative moons month, here we go!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mr_Bob_FergusonPlatinum | QC: CC 445 3 points4 points5 points 9
days ago (1 child)

"What do you mean they drained my wallet and you can't trace any of it?"

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zap1324Tin 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Nothing happens even when people can trace it

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+][deleted] 9 days ago (2 children)

[deleted]

[–]Nagemasu -1 points0 points1 point 8 days ago* (1 child)

lol this is a dumb argument. If it's public information (no privacy
coins exist) then it doesn't matter if they know how much you have
because they can't do anything without less they be discovered, not
that that's really how good security works. Being able to wash the
crypto with privacy coins is what allows them to get away with it and
risk doing it in the first place.

Most peoples wealth is already on full display anyway. Stop acting
like crypto is going to be some beacon for kidnapping, this is the
same level of fear mongering everyone in crypto moans about from
buttcoin or other anti crypto groups.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mab_894Raise your Standards 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Hmm good point. That is the trade-off. I still believe in inherent
privacy/freedom to transact but hard to know what I would do unless I
really am in this situation. Hopefully it never happens to anyone but
it unfortunately will

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Character-Dot-4078Platinum | QC: CC 535, ETH 45, BTC 44 | ADA 7 |
MiningSubs 39 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago (1 child)

There is only one argument, only fascists want you to have no privacy.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zap1324Tin 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Then why does the Democratic Party in the us hate crypto so much

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Onnimation 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Privacy is our fundamental rights! The real criminals are the banks.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Impossible_Soup_1932Platinum | QC: CC 286 | ADA 8 0 points1 point2
points 9 days ago (0 children)

To be honest if I buy an alt coin, it's to earn money from it.
Delisting of coins to me just means the chances of a strong return
goes down significantly.

And true Monero fans can still get it through Defi. And I do hope they
can manage to do that and keep the project alive

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]smellybarbiefeetTin | 2 months old -2 points-1 points0 points 9
days ago (0 children)

I don’t like it because it defeats the purpose of a public ledger. It
also has a culty QAnon following, which I don’t care for.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]--leockl--Tin | CelsiusNet. 7 -1 points0 points1 point 9 days ago
(0 children)

Litecoin the true privacy coin now!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+][deleted] 9 days ago (1 child)

[deleted]

[–]Mab_894Raise your Standards 4 points5 points6 points 9 days ago (0 children)

What do you care about in a crypto?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Into-the-BeyondPlatinum | QC: CC 17, BTC 15 -2 points-1 points0
points 9 days ago (0 children)

My biggest issue with the concept of holding Monero is that while I
have no doubt privacy coins will exist now and in the future, how can
we possibly know Monero will continue to gain and hold value (while
also not have their privacy hacked or tracked—whatever—with future
tech) and not be replaced by some other random future privacy coin
that becomes the premier privacy coin at that time instead?

If I wanted to take my KYC coins and make a purchase I wished to
remain private, I could, in theory, now or at some future time send my
KYC coin to a wallet address that isn’t tied to me and then swap it
for whatever privacy coin that exists at that moment and back to some
other wallet not tied to me to spend, or through some sort of mixer or
whatever. It would be a big hassle and have some fees but my point is
why take the risk holding specifically Monero right now over for
instance, Bitcoin, to maintain my buying power? Monero may continue to
grow (maybe until it gets replaced by new tech, who knows?) but I
doubt it will ever surpass Bitcoin in usage.

I’m not arguing there isn’t money to be made on speculating here, just
pointing out there is vastly increased risk over something like BTC.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lordciders 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Government likes to snoop around under the pretext of protecting their
citizens. Even if they don't ban the privacy apps, they'll find other
ways to encroach on it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]yepppers7 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

You would think....

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]HodlMyBottleTin | Politics 15 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

That's not what governments and taxmen believe! For us of course, it's
different for their billionaire buddies and themselves. Of course.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CymandeTV 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

French gouvernment enters the tchat...

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]stqsh-1Tin | 5 months old 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

What would be an impact of banning on the future price of xmr?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]klykerlyTin | Superstonk 53 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

You know, there is no actual legal right to privacy. There are hacks
to more or less ensure privacy, but there is not a defensible right
which would be upheld by any court that matters. As much as a love
privacy and love this community, this is a fallacy of our time.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]7sevenheavenTin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

The Supreme Court already set the precedent in the 40's that in a
state of national emergency your rights are not absolute
unfortunately. If a national emergency were declared tomorrow and
Crypto could be tied to it some way by politicians and the like, it
would be a bit of an uphill battle in regards to what rights we would
argue we have with keeping the investment, or what privacy we would
have.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]4uckleheadTin | 5 months old[🍰] 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago
(2 children)

What countries banned privacy coins

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]4uckleheadTin | 5 months old[🍰] 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago
(0 children)

It's kinda dumb because cash does the same thing... totally private

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]hacksnakeTin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Being secure in my papers includes financial records and such as far
as I'm concerned.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Esco1980 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I hate the argument most have that if you want privacy you have
something to hide , like some people just want privacy , a shame this
is happening but we can all keep fighting !

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]elysiansaurusPlatinum | QC: CC 20 | CAKE 6 | r/WSB 286 0 points1
point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Is this why monero is down today? I'm assuming yes but I need
confirmation from strangers.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SwoopscooterPlatinum | QC: CC 23 | PoliticalHumor 48 0 points1
point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I wish privacy was a right

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]syncopyinc 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (1 child)

When people say privacy in Crypto I have no idea what your talking
about. Everything is kyc this, passport that, emails, scan your bloody
eye balls, my damn bank account feels more private than this stuff.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zap1324Tin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Not sure where you’re buying crypto, but it’d find somewhere else

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ElToroMuyLocoPlatinum | QC: CC 43 | NEO 6 | Superstonk 91 0 points1
point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Exactly like cash, the bank and the government know when you buy or
sell it on the market (any exchange), once you take it off the
exchange you have the right to privacy to use it whatever way you want
it.

If cash is legal, theres no reason to make monero illegal.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]heyitscoryBronze | Economy 12 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Naw, let's go the other direction with this.

The vast majority of payments related to illegal activity are made in
cash. If you count fiat currency in general, we have crimes like wage
theft and white color crimes that are done with fake made-up money
that only exists on computers back-up up by debts and fractional
reserves. That's hundreds of billions of dollars worth of crime,
getting icky crime all over innocent fiat currency.

Outlaw fiat.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]grigioTin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

mainstream people do not understand privacy until it's too late

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CapableMachine666 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

People do tons of illegal shit with regular fiat money so the 'crypto
is used for illegal purposes' argument is bullshit.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JambonBeurreMidiBronze 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

It's true, but you have to realize that the majority of people don't
care about that: it's a niche thing, which needs to be preserved, but
still something for people like those who read this probably,
strictly. It's a waste of time to try to "convince" others that
privacy is good for them. Only them can decide. By the way even if the
state creates cbdcs and control people completely, I don't think most
would mind at all.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mossyskeletonPlatinum | QC: CC 63 | LRC 6 | TraderSubs 14 0 points1
point2 points 9 days ago (1 child)

How is there not a decentralized exchange that can do atomic swaps
into Monero? Is that technologically too difficult? I don't have any
clue where one even acquires Monero nowadays.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Zap1324Tin 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (0 children)

KuCoin is what I use to buy Monero or other coins that other exchanges
won’t list or have delisted

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Gaitle 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I don't against privacy. Im against the use of so called privacy to
scam people in this space. It's hurt seeing your money evaporated in
the hand of scammer and hacker.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]holyknight00Tin | r/Prog. 64 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Yes, all forms of privacy require leaving room for illegal activities.
If illegal activities are not possible, is only because they know
exactly what you are doing and you have no privacy at all.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SmiorBronze 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I stopped mining XMR for the summer. Time to start up again!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Interesting-Chip-500 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Privacy went away after 9/11.. for your own safety.. owning Privacy
coins will probably be a red flag at some point.. even if you aren't
doing anything wrong.. 1984

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]qlz19Tin | Unpop.Opin. 19 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (2 children)

Release the Kraken!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AutoModerator[M] 1 point2 points3 points 9 days ago (1 child)

This is a friendly reminder that Kraken Support will never DM you
first, ask for your username or password, or ask you to transfer
funds. Kraken has its own subreddits, r/KrakenSupport and r/Kraken,
and their Support Center.

Ping for verified users associated with Release the Kraken:
/u/krakensupport /u/krakenexchange

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please
contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or
concerns.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]qlz19Tin | Unpop.Opin. 19 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Good Kraken.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ayleidanthropologistTin | Politics 17 0 points1 point2 points 9
days ago (0 children)

Governments existed long before they had the ability to look into and
microanalyze every aspect of my life... they don’t need that
capability.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]masterbatesAlotPlatinum | QC: DOGE 140 | PoliticalHumor 14 0
points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Cash can be used for illegal use too.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lordchickenburgerMoon and bitcoin are me love 0 points1 point2
points 9 days ago (0 children)

we should just abolish goevrnments and let AI rule us with world coin

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ok-Supermarket-6747Tin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I see no reason to ban a coin based on lack of traceability since
anonymous things could be done with cash money. That being said, there
are also lots of personal and business use cases for traceable coins

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sporesword 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]timidpterodactylPlatinum | QC: CC 68, r/DeFi 48 | r/CMS 18 0
points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I don't understand. If you think it's not worth evaluation and it's so
obvi, why bother posting about it? And if it's not, why don't you come
up with a cohesive argument for Monero instead of a bunch of lazy
paragraphs?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ok-Supermarket-6747Tin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I do believe it’s really no ones business what you have as your
savings. Prices should not increase for YOU just because you have
saved more: that makes saving pointless and incentivizes remaining
broke. Car salesman will try to charge you more if you are dressed
well. Doctors will charge more if you have insurance. None of that is
incentivizing younger generations to want to Work. ‘Work Ethic’ is
like a toxic power play of having ‘something to prove’ and a lot of us
don’t have anything to ‘prove’ we just wanna live peacefully.

There seems to be Some kind of Standoff between loan providers/older
generation and loan takers/younger generation where the incentive of
taking a loan has been getting so low they are no longer attractive.
Same way with relationships honestly...there is a lack of ‘Romance’ so
to speak

Where is the Sparkle?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JayFab6061Platinum | QC: CC 215, ETH 26, BTC 15 0 points1 point2
points 9 days ago (0 children)

You know what’s interesting? I have been in the crypto world since
2016, back when bomb coin (1st deflationary coin) was announced and
the fall of Bitconnect.

I don’t think I have ever seen governments or any laws go after or
limit the use of a cryptocurrency like how XMR is being pushed off or
banned. Like SERIOUSLY NO COIN HAS EVER HAD THIS MUCH ACTION PUT
AGAINST IT

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thecolordarkroomTin | QC: ETH 19 | CC critic | BANANO 29 |
MiningSubs 16 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Shh 🤫

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]1_ring_2_ruleTin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

USD, automobiles, the internet, language…the list goes on

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AndrewshwapTin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I mean, people have been doing illegal stuff with cash for centuries;
idk why the government is acting like only criminals wanna use crypto

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]teamWSB 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

$xmr will be one of the few alts to make it. I’ve felt that way for
years and recent talks of CBDCs only confirms it for me

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Potential-Coat-7233Silver | 6 months old | QC: CC 35 | Buttcoin 786
0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

I forget if crypto dorks like transparency or opacity.

Oh well.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]killz42069 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Cash is ultra private so be prepared that the cryptocurrency will be
more than private it's like VIP private period.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thinkfireTin | GMEJungle 44 | Superstonk 83 0 points1 point2 points
9 days ago (0 children)

Nigerian government agrees with you.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Myl0high 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Just because Binance stopped doesn’t mean you can’t get those coins.
It’s not really a big deal. Just stop using Binance and support a more
supportive centralized crypto exchange.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GiveitToYaGoodTin | 1 month old 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago
(0 children)

Hopefully the US wouldn't try making it illegal to use privacy coins

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]gowithflow192Bronze | QC: CC 36 | r/DeFi critic 0 points1 point2
points 9 days ago (0 children)

Do you only use cash and never your debit card? I've never met anyone
like this i.e. most people trust a central authority (the bank) with
their spending habits.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]AlwaysLosingDough 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Completely agree. I will be stacking up on XMR

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SuperT0bi 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Well,the internet is the main cause of lots of crimes, scams and
frauds(including cryptoscams n frauds).Why dont they just BAN the
internet itself?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BradVetSilver | QC: CC 487 | VET 71 0 points1 point2 points 9 days
ago (0 children)

Sure thats one utopian view but will governments allow it, no chance

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DC600A 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

How about we talk about privacy capability in blockchain technology
instead of just privacy coins? We don't need private blockchains with
a permissioned, centralized approach. We can have an EVM-compatible
layer-1 public blockchain protocol that provides confidentiality
features for enhanced privacy and security using top-notch
cryptographic technology like TEEs and secure enclaves. What we get as
a result is the data sovereignty of users for web3 dApps where
security and transparency go hand in hand. With use cases in DID and
DeFi (among others) enjoying the benefit of privacy, the need for
privacy coins will cease, especially when these benefits can be
accessed cross-chain on any EVM dApp.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]bortbort8Tin 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

yeah dude we know lmfao, this isn't some big revelation

fuckin reddit, always the last horse to cross the finish line

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]KandiruBronze | QC: CC 15 | Technology 30 0 points1 point2 points 9
days ago (0 children)

This is why decentralised exchanges are critical. That way you can
swap between privacy chains and something else without relying on
trusting a 3rd party.

I use Decred for its privacy, and can then swap with BTC on the Dex.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Krupda42Tin | 4 months old 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Atomic swaps mean it will always be possible to get your hands on XMR
The question is whether Monero will survive
I think it will tbh

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Nuk37Platinum | QC: XMR 21 0 points1 point2 points 9 days ago (0 children)

based
Lebanese here living in hyperinflation, everyone should USE monero,
screw banks and fiat

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DMugreIn Satoshi we trust 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

IMHO the sad part about the persecution of privacy tokens is seeing
this logical fallacy of a narrative being spread around the masses
that proposes that the only reason anyone wants privacy is for illegal
purposes, you know, the good 'ol "if you've got nothing to hide why do
you need privacy?" Gaslighting bullshit.

The good part about it comes in that it highlights how desperately the
fiat system needs to hoard your data, how much control it demands to
have over your life, and how far it's willing to go to paint your
ability to consent to what information you make public or not as
something only the worst scum of society would find valuable.

Think about it for a second, is the government as transparent as it
expects you to be? No, right? Then why should you be transparent with
them?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Bongocoin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and
transact in anonymous money is, as a last resort, to protect
themselves against tyranny in government.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CleynnTin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

I will keep on using scrt and plan to start using xmr later this
month. Let's see what the French govt is gonna do, hopefully other
cex'es don't comply as fast as binance.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TutorFew7917 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

ok pedo

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Anchorman_1970 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

CEXs are ignorant ass users who are too lazy or ignorant to inform themselves

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]solobdoloPlatinum | QC: CC 180 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago
(0 children)

Tons of stuff is used for illegal activity. To ban everything that is
sometimes used for illegal stuff would mean banning everything and
even worse giving the government the power to ban anything. The real
reason they are cracking down on crypto (all crypto, no just privacy
coins) is crypto represents a threat to their hegemony. Their fiat
house of cards is coming down and they are scrambling to hold it up.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]solobdoloPlatinum | QC: CC 180 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago
(0 children)

Really like secret network also

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Player13377 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Monero is the only coin i believe in, fully support and happy to throw
my money into.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]KatoryaBronze | Politics 42 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Kinda like dollars

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]CryptoBombasticSilver | QC: CC 38 | VET 1820 0 points1 point2
points 8 days ago (0 children)

We have all seen and can not unsee.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BusinessBreakfast3Platinum | QC: BTC 28, CC 22 | CRO 5 0 points1
point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Government care about fighting privacy more than using money illegally .

This is proven over and over.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]emptyzed81No Fomo 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

What are you trying to hide!

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zuzieey7719 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Yes, but this countries aren't interested in your privacy. It is the
same with the dark web. It can be used for criminal purposes or to
save journalists from censorship in some countries.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]wootrice35 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Monero is legit but also can be a little tricky to acquire depending
on the exchanges you can access, found services like BBTT or azk to be
nice alternatives if you want to stay in erc20 land.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]happs11 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

is Monero worth staking?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]badfishbeefcakeSilver | QC: CC 100 | ADA 32 | PoliticalHumor 42 0
points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

go monero go

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Objective_Digit 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Since Lightning can do privacy Monero is redundant.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]orville_wTin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

People use publicly issued govt cash to pay for illegal stuff all the
time (murder, children, drugs, stolen property, organs, weapons etc)…
the basic fact that they paid for those things is one of the things
that is illegal & immoral… and it’s what society does not condone or
want.

There is no such thing as a “right to privacy to pay for illegal
activities/entities”. You simply do not have that legal right… no
matter what currency you use.

Therefore no currency that enables opaque payment of illegal things
can “outweigh all the illegal activities that it is paying for”. - if
you believe that… you are a person who desires to operate outside of
the basic morals of a safe peaceful lawful society. (& you’re probably
someone who should not be hanging around schools).

    try telling your sad illogical story to the person who had their
child stolen & sold into slavery. There is no “pro or con” debate with
that parent that is worth having.

This isn’t an issue of currency or privacy. - Just don’t do very bad
illegal shit & don’t try to buy/sell/pay for it. / be a good person.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]honestlyimeanreallyPlatinum | QC: XMR 772, CC 250, ETH 30 |
MiningSubs 50 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Monero is the only reason I’m here.

Everything else is shitting in a glass bathroom and pretending the man
doesn’t like it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dericecourcyBronze | NANO 6 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

For all you privacy haters here, just go ahead and post your net worth
in the comments. That's basically what you're doing using a public
ledger

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tiggs 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

The problem with crypto is that people want complete privacy when it
benefits them, then will turn around and want regulations and the
ability to track when it benefits them.

The amount of time I've seen posts on here about stolen crypto and
people tracking wallets to follow the funds is insane. People are all
about it and applaud the "community" for help keeping it safe.
EVERYONE prefers privacy until they run into a situation where that's
not beneficial to them.

While I don't necessarily agree with outlawing these types of crypto
projects, I think everyone downplays the amount of bad shit that can
come from untracked funds. Put it this way, there are a lot more
people out there looking to use these products to sell drugs, traffic
children, start wars, avoid taxes, and other bad shit than there are
law abiding citizens that just want to buy dildos anonymously or stop
people from following their crypto transactions. Sure, cash is the
largest vehicle for sponsoring illegal shit, but cash can't be
transferred digitally in seconds with no trace of anything.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]clitoral_obligationsTin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

The issue is that illegal activity contaminates legal activity which
fucks the entire premise of a privacy coin

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kranzjPlatinum | ADA 7 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

💯. Privacy is a human right.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ThomasReturnsPlatinum | QC: CC 564 | NFTsMarket. 6 0 points1 point2
points 8 days ago (0 children)

Look , theres a reason gold has always been popular.

Its something that always stays in the picture, is easy to liquidate
and is private as hell.

I like monero for what its trying. But the hoops you need to jump
trough when onboarding/offboarding just arent worth the hassle
compared to oldschool non valuta valuables.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sonalder 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Police don't need to track transactions to catch criminals. So this is
useless to fight crime...

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]victorsaurusTin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

However with full privacy society would go to hell. Imo compromises
need to be done.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]market_theoryTin 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

    I think it's important to keep in mind that governments do have a
good reason for banning these coins, as a lot of illegal activity is
made easier and hidden this way.

Why should anyone else care about what governments want? Their
violence is the only reason.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RandomPlayerCSGOPlatinum | QC: CC 137, CM 35, XMR 30 | TraderSubs
35 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Illegal does not mean immoral, illegal transactions are good and the
existence of markets outside government control is good for us and bad
for the ruling class.

Black markets matter.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zatrzaskzy 0 points1 point2 points 5 days ago (0 children)

I totally agree with this. The government doesn't like privacy and
that's the sole reason for the ban. We cannot deny the fact that
people use privacy coins for illegal transactions but the positive
side of privacy outweighs the negative usage. I believe privacy
protocols will prevail in the end. I still use and hold onto them.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]randomFrenchDeadbeat comment score below threshold-13 points-12
points-11 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Banning untracable laundering machines available to anyone far
outweights the outcry of the people using them.

The right to privacy has nothing to do with this. Governments have to
follow rules. No one is going to pry into your privacy with this,
unless your transactions get flagged for not being in accordance with
whatever revenue and activity you claim having; and even that needs to
be approved by a judge... exactly the same way it would happen if you
used a bank account.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]coachhunter2 -5 points-4 points-3 points 9 days ago (2 children)

Why do people have a right to privacy?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Elie0_0[S] 2 points3 points4 points 9 days ago* (0 children)

Why do people have the right of free speech, or which religion they
choose, etc? Assuming you wouldn't try to silence someone for speaking
their minds, you agree that they indeed do have that right. Now ask
the same question, why do humans have right to free speech?

Because it's the right thing for people to have that freedom. It's as
vague as it sounds.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]dericecourcyBronze | NANO 6 0 points1 point2 points 8 days ago (0 children)

Because everyone has to pick their nose sometimes

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]ghochumalPlatinum | QC: CC 399, ETH 25 | BANANO 12 | TraderSubs 25
comment score below threshold-8 points-7 points-6 points 9 days ago (0
children)

Unfortunately privacy is in the hands of your government and this fact
can't be denied

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mcc011ins -4 points-3 points-2 points 9 days ago* (0 children)

It's two opposing forces, privacy and transparency.

Both have an equal justification. A lack of privacy leads to the
authoritarian surveillance state, a lack of transparency leads to
corruption and terror financing.

I really like the sweet spot between transparency and privacy of
regular cryptocurrencies like ethereum and Bitcoin. They are
transparent and private at the same time. Pseudonymous but you can
identify shady business of some sort. You can follow the money but not
directly see names and postal addresses. It's a free for all,
information is not restricted to certain powerful banks, all have
equal amount of access to the money flows.

I think it's the least bad choice among a selection of bad choices.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[+][deleted] 9 days ago (2 children)

[deleted]

[–]DryArmPitsTin | CRO 8 6 points7 points8 points 9 days ago (1 child)

Monero is private, secure and untraceable by default. No need to use
x, y, z that risk introducing failure points.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JustreadingcommentPlatinum | QC: CC 255 -2 points-1 points0 points
9 days ago (0 children)

But the illegal uses far outweigh everything else.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Ok-Supermarket-6747Tin -2 points-1 points0 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Personally I believe Monero should be wrapped or forked or something
into the traceable system, such that balances from the Monero account
cannot be found but transferring as wrapped or flatout exchanging to a
different crypto yields traceable. I have not used it so idk what it’s
like as a user but that’s my take on it

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MonkfichTin -2 points-1 points0 points 9 days ago (0 children)

Money laundering shouldn’t be minimised or believed to not be worth concessions.

Money laundering especially allows financing of terrorist
organisations and North Korea too. It also allows drug cartels to get
more profits so they can expand operations and flood your country with
more shit.

    embed
    save
    report