My new article - Georgia hasn't, and can't, certify crucial vote software update

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Fri Jul 7 15:16:11 PDT 2023

Apologies for the lack of quoting y'all, can't at the moment, I'll try
to paraphrase fairly.

Professor Rat said something like, why is this article important to
cypherpunks, besides in a know-thy-enemy way.

I think the Georgia situation will further spiral out of control as time
goes on, getting wilder and wilder. It wouldn't surprise me if at some
point WL or DDoSecrets or who knows else, publishes the swiped Dominion
Democracy Suite 5.5-A or something like that. So I'm hoping my article
prepares cypherpunks for such an event, because most likely, of all that
may happen due to the breach of Coffee County 5.5-A, the biggest thing
will be disinfo that includes elements of the swiped source code,
already happened at CPAC [1]. The (so far, far right partisan
restricted) leak of State (well, Dominion Voting Systems, but what's the
diff) governance source code strikes me as a matter of cypherpunks
interest ... I have a strong sense there's more on the way between now
and Election Day 2024.

Professor Rat and Karl went back and forth a little about the importance
or not of representative voting/consensus methods. Without delving into
it in great detail, I will say I basically oppose representative
governance (and hierarchy governance like fascism or monarchy), and
think direct voting/consensus should primarily be limited to very small
groups (e.g., "Can the three of us come to consensus about what we want
for dinner tonight?"). There are other paths, e.g. stigmergy. But how to
get from here to there. I wrote a single installment on whistleblower
Reality Winner so far for the _Texas Observer_. Due to their (well
publicized) financial restructuring, my next installments are in
slow-mo. But one of them will most def be about grassroots activism to
not only protect/secure, but also to evolve voting. So for example, in
Texas where I'm from, there are almost never referendums on the ballot
-- only in rare cases of amending the state constitution. So Texans can
only vote for representatives/politicians. But here in Seattle we have
referendums all the time (i.e. many of the red state people, much of the
country, don't even know what referendums are). Just a few election
cycles ago, Seattleites voted directly on an *idea* rather than
personalities ... namely, whether soda should or shouldn't be taxed to
fund pre-k education and other social services. Forget the specifics or
whether for/against that particular example/tax, just the idea of voting
directly on a proposition is something that could be spread throughout
the country to (hopefully) reduce the apathy and celebpolitician-worship
of John Q Public. Other way to evolve democracy could be, you know, you
can vote with a ballot, but you can also "vote" with your actions, such
as Food Not Bombs or torching a slaughterhouse. So I plan to delve into
just that kind of stuff in a future installment. If anybody has links
for me about it, options, paths, DIY anarchist-y tech, that I might be
able to squeeze in, don't hesitate to send for me to review.

:-Doug

Links:
------
[1]