[ot][personal] cult reading notes

Undiscussed Groomed for Male Slavery, One Victim of Many gmkarl+brainwashingandfuckingupthehackerslaves at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:15:57 PDT 2022

- there may be online support groups if there is not one in your area

- it can be very disappointing that pre-cult problems were not
resolved during the cult membership, due to the illusion of health
- ex-cult-members may have not psychologically, personally, or
culturally aged during their time. they may have nothing to talk about
other than the cult experience
- have to catch up on _everything_, may feel urgent around catching up
on lost time

- _take_ time to heal, grow, and develop. discover or create your own
path for your own needs
- some people adjust to the outer world quickly, some people need a
very long time
similarly, some cults are far more intense than other cults

- former members need to learn how to trust themselves again: become
their own best friend and best therapist; to realise they didn't
choose to be lied to or abused. eventually they learn it's okay to
begin trusting others, as they find their own instincts and inherent
wisdom work. they need to realise not all groups are harmful or
deceptive, that one has choice around leaving and questioning things
as much as one wants.

- an important aspect of growth is getting in touch with one's
emotions and effectively channeling them
- emotions in general may remain suppressed when first leaving, but
may arise when adjusting to the outside world. this is good.
he focuses on shame, embarrassment, anger, indignation. i imagine any
natural emotions count here.
emotions are kinda touchy. one can have very fake emotions, and learn
to express them in exit situations. one can learn to trick one's own
perceptions with fake emotions. i mean personal experience here, not
accusation of others.

- an ex-member, after rediscovering emotions, may begin to research
the cult to answer all their questions. this is also good.
- number one priority is often rescuing friends from within
- major regret is usually losing contact with people they care for
within. this becomes more difficult when they are treated as an
ex-member by the members.
- after some engagement, the ex-cultist moves on
- sometime people need additional extensive counseling if cult-related
problems continue
- author describes a 10-session therapy. assigned ex-cultist 1 sheet
of paper for each month of involvement, and to write everything
postiive and negative. gave many techniques for information access,
recovery, or identification.
- therapist described cult persona as no longer existing. "think about
that person as a younger you, someone who was doing the very best they
could"
- client was asked to re-experience each traumatic experience,
correcting her responses with her new experience. after being forcibly
reprogrammed, the client needed to regain personal control of the
experience.
- "Integrating the old into the new allows former members to be
unusually strong."
- "We are survivors. We have suffered hardship and abuse, and, through
information and self-reflection, we are able to overcome adversity."
I might say "any adversity at all we choose to ourselves" ;p .
not knowing for sure if i count in the author's "we" of course. not
really knowing what my experience is.
- after the therapy, the client learned "on a very deep personal level
that they can identify and avoid any situation in which they are being
manipulated or used"
- trust in one's self and others builds step by step. the nature of
trust is you are in control of your risks.

- regrettably only a small number of recovery facilities
- one is Wellspring Retreat, Barbara Martin, Athens, Ohio

- work is needed to offer services without pricetags, as ex-members
have no financial resources
i think i know how to do that with others, but i don't how to know that i am