USA 2024 Elections Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 13:41:04 PDT 2022

Rand Paul Vows To Introduce Bill To Stop Government And Big Tech
Colluding To Censor Speech

https://summit.news/2022/11/04/rand-paul-vows-to-introduce-bill-to-stop-government-and-big-tech-colluding-to-censor-speech/
https://theintercept.com/2022/10/31/social-media-disinformation-dhs/
https://summit.news/2022/11/03/white-house-deletes-tweet-after-it-gets-fact-checked-by-twitter/

In the wake of fresh revelations that The Department of Homeland
Security has been working relentlessly to shut down speech it deems to
be ‘dangerous’ or ‘disinformation,’ Senator Rand Paul has promised to
introduce legislation that would make it illegal for government
agencies and private big tech to secretly collude on such enterprises.

Appearing on Fox News, Paul said of the Democratic Party, “You know,
for all the talk of democracy, it seems to be that they’re undermining
the very basic principles of our constitutional republic.”

“Freedom of speech was listed in the first amendment because it was
one of the most important rights that our Founders thought should be
protected. But having the government collude with Big Tech to censor
speech is something that goes against every grain of everything that
anyone has ever spoken about as far as freedom of speech,” Paul urged.

The Senator continued, “So when we get back in session, I’m going to
introduce legislation that will forbid the government from colluding
with private companies to censor speech.”

Paul further explained that “this is a tricky situation because many
people believe that the First Amendment doesn’t allow us to regulate
the speech of private companies. But without question, we can regulate
the government, and we can prevent and forbid the government from
colluding with private tech on speech.”

“I think we should also preclude them and prohibit them from gathering
up our data,” Paul further asserted, adding “we can’t really tell
people on the Internet they can’t collect our data, you know, for
sales and for marketing. But we can tell the government they can’t
collect that data, because I don’t want the government profiling every
citizen.”

“That goes against everything that we all believe in as far as the
foundation of our constitutional republic,” The Senator proclaimed.

Paul further charged that Democrats “actually want to emulate China,”
noting that “They would weld your doors shut if they could.”

“This is the party of authoritarianism. The impulse to
authoritarianism came with COVID. But the impulse to gather our
information actually probably started with the Patriot act, all the
way back to 2001. There was this impulse — we must be safe, we must be
protected from terrorists,” Paul explained.

Referring to his father former Texas Congressman Ron Paul, The Senator
noted “my dad warned — he warned early on that this kind of going
after terrorists would ultimately be used on us.”

“When they finally came and used the Patriot Act on Donald Trump, that
was when we knew this wasn’t about terrorism, it was about suppressing
dissent from people they disagree with,” Paul stated.

As we highlighted yesterday, ‘fact checking’ isn’t the real principle
driving the Biden regime’s drive to censor, as they continue to pump
out their own disinformation on social media.