Aggressive List Unsubscription

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Fri May 13 13:29:33 PDT 2022

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 02:39:58PM -0400, Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Both my email addresses were unsubscribed from the mailing list.

Karl,

It wasn't me, and I didn't get a notification about it.

We've seen on the list that anyone can send a forged email to unsubscribe, but then a confirmation is required to actually unsubscribe.

Your email, gmkarl at gmail.com, is still subscribed to the cypherpunks list. I just checked.

The unsub shenanigans are childish and annoying. I taught my students how to forge an email message in 1998, and of course forged emails are a big part of how spam gets around these days. I'm not impressed by people who are forging unsub emails to the list management software.

> I don't know whether it was on my end, or Greg's. Nor do I know
> whether it has happened to other people.

When an address is unsubscribed, they get a goodbye email from the list software. Did that happen?

  ~ Greg