Aggressive List Unsubscription

Karl Semich 0xloem at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:18:42 PDT 2022

On Fri, May 13, 2022, 4:29 PM Greg Newby <gbnewby at pglaf.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 02:39:58PM -0400, Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One
> Victim of Many wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Both my email addresses were unsubscribed from the mailing list.
>
> Karl,
>
> It wasn't me, and I didn't get a notification about it.
>
> We've seen on the list that anyone can send a forged email to unsubscribe,
> but then a confirmation is required to actually unsubscribe.
>
> Your email, gmkarl at gmail.com, is still subscribed to the cypherpunks
> list. I just checked.

I had to go through the subscription process to do this for both
gmkarl at gmail.com and 0xloem at gmail.com . I was getting bounces, earlier, in
response to emails from both email addresses.

> The unsub shenanigans are childish and annoying. I taught my students how
> to forge an email message in 1998, and of course forged emails are a big
> part of how spam gets around these days. I'm not impressed by people who
> are forging unsub emails to the list management software.
>
> > I don't know whether it was on my end, or Greg's. Nor do I know
> > whether it has happened to other people.
>
> When an address is unsubscribed, they get a goodbye email from the list
> software. Did that happen?

I'm not seeing this.

However, when I looked just now, my client misbehaved, mutating folders on
its own. It's been doing that rarely for years, though. It is possible that
somebody used access to my email account to unsubscribe me, and then
covered their tracks. But it's concerning that this happens at the same
time that others are getting unsubscription notices.