Dishonest Tor relay math question - tor-talk is to lazy

Punk-BatSoup-Stasi 2.0 punks at tfwno.gf
Sat Oct 9 23:26:08 PDT 2021

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 02:47:35 +0000
PrivacyArms <privacyarms at protonmail.com> wrote:

> That would mean: Tor is dead, right?

	Right. Actually that's something that tor's 'designers' knew and admitted since day 0. Ask fairbrother. Or take a look at tor's literature where they state that tor doesn't work against a 'global passive adversary'

	https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/48502/tor-traffic-correlation-attacks-by-global-adversaries

	"A global passive adversary is the most commonly assumed threat when analyzing theoretical anonymity designs. But like all practical low-latency systems, Tor does not protect against such a strong adversary."

	Take into account that tor is a cyberweapon created and maintained by the US military. It allows the US government to attack people all over the world by providing 'anonimity' to US criminals, but it doesn't give the same ability to people who oppose those US criminals. Which is hardly surprising. Why would the pentagon criminals help their victims.

> It cannot be so easy, because lots of people hide successfully behind Tor.

	Well, it's 'easy' if you're the criminal mafia that rules the world, and accomplices. On the other hand, yes, you can certainly hide succsefuly behind tor or other proxies depending on who your 'adversary' is. But I'd mention that a lot of people who sell drugs on the 'darknet' end up in jail, so it looks to me that tor is rather shitty.

	Also, note there's an attack that doesn't use traffic correlation, it only requires the attacker to see the (encrypted) traffic between you and your 'guard node'.

	https://www.freehaven.net/anonbib/

	look up "Website Fingerprinting"