Facebook urged to abandon encryption plans after child abuse reports halve

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Sun May 16 13:15:41 PDT 2021

On 5/16/21, jim bell <jdb10987 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> https://news.yahoo.com/facebook-urged-abandon-encryption-plans-070553456.html
>
> Facebook has been urged to halt its encryption plans after child abuse
> reports more than halved in Europe due to new privacy laws. The social media
> giant was f...

User education on identifying child abuse missing.  Each of those
machine learning algorithms can be reversed into clear interactions
human beings could identify their friends as having.

Meanwhile, with their algorithm running, somebody could coerce or hack
part of facebook to safely abuse a child on their platform.

Noted that the numbers that dropped were very substantial.  Not
something I'm usually exposed to.  Incredible win for people being
able to pressure what algorithms facebook uses on their consumers.

Some day we will see our private marketing models and get paid for
doing market research for them while they run an AI in front of us
that focuses on how to keep us doing it by filtering and emphasizing
our relations with our friends.